Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Timsn 121 posts 231 karma points
    Jul 06, 2009 @ 09:20
    Timsn

How to use captcha

How do I use captcha in my user control form and where do I get the captcha module?

Greetings,
    Tim

• Darren Ferguson 1022 posts 3259 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jul 06, 2009 @ 10:21
    Darren Ferguson

Per provided a capctha datatype some time ago but his blog is now gone.

What do you want to use the capctha for?

If you are trying to prevent spam it may be better to consider a service like askimet, mollom or defensio.

Jul 06, 2009 @ 10:30
    Timsn

I can remember this datatype but I was not able to implement it into my form and get it to work.

Yes, I want to use it to prevent spam in my comment form (user control).
    I've never heard of askimet, mollom or defensio but I'll have a look at them.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jul 06, 2009 @ 10:33
    Jan Skovgaard

Some guys did a package presentation at codegarden where they used mollom. But unfortunately it does not seem like they have uploaded it to our yet. But maybe they do after they have seen this thread ;)

Jul 06, 2009 @ 11:04
    Timsn

Maybe I could write a small package for a captcha image generator and validator if there are needs for it.

I like the idea of hosted spam protection services like mollum because they are easy to use, but I don't like the fact that I have to send the complete content to a third party.

Jul 06, 2009 @ 11:34
    Darren Ferguson

I'm on a bit of a crusade against captchas as I recently saw a presentation by a blind guy and it basically cripples his ability to use certain websites.

I'm a hypocrite of course because I have a capctha on my Umbraco trials site, but I *will* get rid of it.

A better alternative is to have a control that makes the user do a small piece of random arithmetic e.g. "What is 2x4?". Obviously the sum changes every time.

Just as effective as a captcha and a lot simpler to implement.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jul 06, 2009 @ 12:22
    Aaron Powell

What are peoples opinion of reCAPTCHA? I've used it on a couple of projects and found it really quite easy to implement (it inherits from BaseValidator too which is nice), but it is really ugly.

There's some really good stuff on StackOverflow to do with Captcha, check this post out: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8472/practical-non-image-based-captcha-approaches

• Jakob 38 posts 54 karma points
    Sep 10, 2009 @ 00:19
    Jakob

Has something come out of this? Are we ever going to see an anti-spam package for Umbraco to use with i.e the blog package?

• Scott Rozman 2 posts 22 karma points
    Sep 10, 2009 @ 15:43
    Scott Rozman

I have been using reCAPTCHA on a Contact Us form on various websites for the past 6-8 months and I am a fan of it for the most part.

In general, it makes a simpler form look a lot more complicated to users, so hopefully it does not turn them off from using it.

However, it does tie in nicely with the validation and provides both visual and audio options. Since using it, we have seen no spam from those forms, compared to some older 2005 era CAPTCHA forms that we still have in place, but the bots can read.

I am in the process of putting a site into Umbraco and will be putting in the reCAPTCHA form today.... so we'll see how that goes!

• James Telfer 65 posts 165 karma points
    Sep 15, 2009 @ 15:20
    James Telfer

@Darren: out of interest, was there an audio option available in that presentation? Was that also useless to him? I don't know the capabilities of screen readers, so I'm interested whether these sort of accessibility options for CAPTCHAs are practically useful.

Cheers,
    JT

• Horst Sterr 171 posts 133 karma points
    Sep 16, 2009 @ 14:56
    Horst Sterr

Always good, if somebody has backup ;-)

http://www.ucc-bln.de/de/2008/10/29/captcha-stuff.aspx

got it from here some time ago as well.

/horst

Sep 24, 2009 @ 14:14
    Jakob

Any resolution? Have any of you guys been able to find or manifacture a package that works with v4? I have been unsuccesful in makin Per's umb v3 captcha v2 package work with umb v4.

Sep 24, 2009 @ 16:50
    Jakob

Bringing some resolution to the table. You can read http://jdsign.dk/blog/2009/9/24/adding-captcha-to-blogforumbraco4.aspx if you want to add captcha funtionality to blogforumbraco4

Sep 24, 2009 @ 17:39
    Darren Ferguson

@james - at the demonstration the guy showed us that Google captcha audio equivalents make no sense at all.

• Thomas 2 posts 23 karma points
    Jan 22, 2010 @ 10:48
    Thomas

Have a look here i just did a post on how to add captcha or recaptcha to blog for umbraco. http://istern.dk/blog/2010/1/22/adding-captcha-recaptcha-umbraco-blog.aspx

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft