Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sierra Santiago 33 posts 53 karma points
    Jan 05, 2012 @ 20:52
    Sierra Santiago

Internet Explorer 9: RichText editor Issues?

A friend of mine, while testing my site in various browsers, noticed something extremely odd when using Umbraco in Internet Explorer. When they went to edit information in a RichText editor, the HTML and various other icons did not appear. Clicking around, the HTML magically appeared on its own and after opening and closing the HTML editor, the other icons also magically appeared. It was the weird thing and I trie dit on my laptop and it did the same thing.

Is anyone else having an issue with this?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 05, 2012 @ 21:08
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sierra

What version of Umbraco are you using? There have been some issues with the rich text editor in IE9 in earlier Umbraco versions, which are related to the tinymce script that Umbraco is using (but is not responsible for developing).

Therefore you should consider using another browser than IE9 to edit the content or consider switching the compatibility mode to render IE8 even though it's not ideal.

/Jan

Jan 05, 2012 @ 21:31
    Sierra Santiago

I'm using version 4.7.1. It's nothing big, just a funny little bug my friend and I noticed. Doesn't cause any damage or inconvenience really but I know some people don't know HTML and want the icons there.

I personally use Chrome because I think IE sucks horribly. However, I'm not going to be in charge of editing content on the site later on. I'm just the middle developer. :P Hence why it was a concern.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly about it~ Much appreciated! :) 

Jan 05, 2012 @ 21:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Hmm, in that case I think the issues really should have been solved. I have just tested a 4.7.1 on IE9, where I had no problems.

Could you perhaps post a screendump showing it? It could be something else that's wrong, which might need to be taken care of.

You're very welcome :)

/Jan

Jan 06, 2012 @ 15:05
    Sierra Santiago

Yeah, no problem. :D

Here's a screenshot of the richtext editor when I frst view/use it (and I placed my cursor in the editor and clicked around a bit, sometimes it would show, others it wouldn't):

Here's after clicking around within the editor, the HTML button appears:

And this is after I click and close the HTML button, all the other icons re-appear:

Jan 06, 2012 @ 16:50
    Jan Skovgaard

Wow, that sure is a wierd behaviour...must admit that I've never seen this before. Not even in IE9. It's not because you access the backoffice on another server using VPN or something like that - you're doing directly from your own machine, right?

/Jan

Jan 06, 2012 @ 16:52
    Sierra Santiago

Oh, I totally forgot that I was accessing it from another server! Woah, my bad! :O

Jan 06, 2012 @ 16:55
    Jan Skovgaard

Ok, then that's probably the issue right there :)

/Jan

Jan 06, 2012 @ 17:02
    Sierra Santiago

I don't suppose there's a solution for it, is there? Or do I just need to tweak around wtih things, if there's anything to tweak around with?

Jan 06, 2012 @ 17:13
    Jan Skovgaard

Perhaps you could be allowed to connect using VPN so you can access the site form your own machine?

/Jan

Jan 06, 2012 @ 17:36
    Sierra Santiago

The original is on my computer. I downloaded Umbraco and started the project all from my machine and I have all the files for it. :) All of those files and such were copied and transferred for publishing. Since the site is now published to another server, I've just been working on the server (why, I don't know). Does that make a difference?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm a recent graduate with a major in CIS and so I'm a fairly new developer. There's a LOT that I still need to learn. :P 

Jan 06, 2012 @ 17:47
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sierra

No need to appoligize - we've all been new to the game and some times we're all feeling like n00bs again (I'm a total Razor n00b for instance) :)

If you can access the database from your local machine I don't see any issues. BUT! Make sure that you get all the files from the server FTP'ed to your local machine before you continue developing locally. Once that is in order you should of course FTP your local file changes to the server afterwards.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Jan 06, 2012 @ 18:00
    Sierra Santiago

Alright, I'll see what I can do. Thank you soo much~ :D

PS: Heehee, noob. That word makes me giggle! ^~^

Jan 06, 2012 @ 18:46
    Jan Skovgaard

Hehe, well that's what I am when it comes to Razor - but I *will* get there :)

Hope you're enjoying working with Umbraco by the way.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft