Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• steve paxton 2 posts 20 karma points
    Jul 06, 2009 @ 15:06
    steve paxton

Create folder

Hi,

I'm very new to Umbraco (but have been developing in PHP for many years). I've been asked to create a site as a subdomain of a site which has an existing Umbraco installation (v2.1.6). I assumed I would be able to create a folder for the new site in Umbraco, but that doesn't seem possible, so I searched for create folder & found a threadwith an answer that says that I can create the folder outside of Umbraco, which I've done, but it still doesn't appear inside Umbraco. Can someone tell me how I can create a folder to build this site in? Under the create option I only have a number of items which relate to the content in the existing website.

Thanks

(I originally posted this as a reply to the other thread, but then realised that that thread had been marked as solved, so I've posted here. Apologies for the double post).

• Jesper Ordrup 1019 posts 1528 karma points MVP
    Jul 06, 2009 @ 16:14
    Jesper Ordrup

There isnt a "folder" in Umbraco, what you do is create a document type that helps you with this. In a typical Umbraco setup my doctypes are:

1. website (defining sitename, footer, .. imagery, metatags)
    2. startpage
    3. textpage

I then use the doctype "website" as root for each website. Then I create homepage and textpages below.

English site (doctype website)
    - Welcome (doctype startpage)
    --- more about us
    --- subpage 2
    - Contact us (textpage)

To ensure the right page is served up as starting page: on website doctype I define a property with alias "umbracoInternalRedirectId", datatype content picker that I use to select the websites startpage/homepage.

Not having the startpage defined as the "root" allows me to have a more flexible setup. This way, also the startpage can have subnavigation.

/Jesper

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft