Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sierra Santiago 33 posts 53 karma points
    Jan 09, 2012 @ 20:24
    Sierra Santiago

Modify CMS Desk

I'm just wondering if there's a way to slightly modify the CMS desk at all.

Some changes I'd like to make are:

• Rich text editor area is too small, is there a way to make it 100% width and height rather than enter dimentions? (Just because resolution isn't the same among all computers [duh XP])
    • Um, I had more questions but I forgot them. When I think of them I will ask but for now, the above is the main concern.
    Hope to hear back from someone with a reply. Thank you~

Jan 09, 2012 @ 20:43
    Sierra Santiago

Ah, I did have another question but it's not really about editing to CMS, just thought I'd ask while I'm here:

How can I create media that is editable, like images? 

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 09, 2012 @ 21:14
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sierra

No, there is no way to set relative width and height for the editor. But you can increase the width and height in absolute numbers by going to the developer section, expand the "Datatypes" folder and go to "Rich text editor".

You can upload images in the media section - but it's not like you can edit them out of the box. You will need to install either the pixlr package or DAMP package, which allows you to open images in pixlr and save the edited version back to Umbraco.

Hope this helps :)

/Jan

Jan 09, 2012 @ 21:33
    Sierra Santiago

Okay, thank you.

I tried the DAMP package and it didn't work for me so maybe I will give the pixlr one a shot.

However, I now have an even bigger problem. I was trying to rename all of my files for my website and I killed it! My templates disappeared and I get this error:

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. 

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="Off"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

What have I done? D: Where did all my work go? 

Jan 09, 2012 @ 21:36
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sierra

In order to have a more explanatory error message you need to change the customErros mode from "RemoteOnly" to "Off". Then you'll get another yellow screen with a moe detailed error message, which can hopefully get us on the right track. Don't panic just yet - don't think your work is gone, but If you have changed some file names, some macroes are perhaps trying to access some files that don't exist anymore.

But let's see what the error message is saying :)

/Jan

Jan 09, 2012 @ 21:40
    Sierra Santiago

It started with the "Con" page. I was trying to change everything so that "Show" was no longer in the names of the pages. Originally they were going to be test pages but now we are making them the official pages and my people wanted me to change the names.

So I went in and started to try and change everything. 

Jan 09, 2012 @ 22:29
    Sierra Santiago

Managed to get all the files back but now we can't edit or delete or make any set changes to them.

Jan 09, 2012 @ 23:29
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sierra

Hmm, where did you change the page names? If you only changed the page names in the content section you should simply just publish the entire site and then refresh the xml cache by going to the "Content" node, right click and choose "republish entire site".

You don't need to change the name/alias of document types or templates in order to change page names etc.

How many things have you been changing?

/Jan

Jan 09, 2012 @ 23:49
    Sierra Santiago

I'm a super picky developer in that I like to have all of my document's names match up and look well organized rather than a mess because there are other developers working on this... So I tried to change everything one by one, slowly. That didn't work.

Jan 10, 2012 @ 21:27
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sierra

Well that is also some good intentions you're having there being strict about conventions and all.

But can you perhaps give some examples by screendumps as to what and where you have changed it? Perhaps you're using an illegal character in a alias name for a document type or a template? Perhaps you have missed to map the macroes to the right xlst or razor snippet etc. etc. :)

/Jan

Jan 10, 2012 @ 21:46
    Sierra Santiago

Sadly, I can't provide any since my partner and I decided to dump it. :/ Evidentally you can't name anything "CON" and the result we got explains why. XD It's okay though, the newly developed site looks even BETTER~! :D

I do have two more quick questions. The insert image in the editor works in Chrome but not IE or Firefox. I thought this to be very strange. I haven't done anything to it, it's the original file. Is there an updated version or something? Also, is there a way to change the favicon to be blank?

Jan 10, 2012 @ 21:48
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sierra

Hmm, what version of Umbraco are you using?

It should work just fine in both FF and IE as well if you're running 4.x

/Jan

Jan 10, 2012 @ 22:03
    Sierra Santiago

Using 4.7.1

I hope I didn't mess with anything that caused it to break. :/ 

Jan 10, 2012 @ 22:11
    Sierra Santiago

I get this error message: "The current user doesn't have access to this application."

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Jan 10, 2012 @ 22:15
    Tom Fulton

Hi Sierra,

You should check that the user you are logged in as has access to the Media section (via the Users section, edit the user and verify Media is selected) - otherwise you'll get that error when using the Insert Image dialog.

-Tom

Jan 10, 2012 @ 22:20
    Sierra Santiago

Ah, that makes more sense. :P

I'll give that a try. Thank you~

Edit: AH-HA~! It worked! ^^ Yay, thanks SO much!! 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft