Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Pat 56 posts 147 karma points
    Jan 11, 2012 @ 17:24
    Pat

Page content help

Hi, I am building my homepage at the moment and I have my header and footer how I want them, but I am a bit stuck on how to add content how I have designed it into the middle. I found a youtube video whilst browsing tutorials, and this popped up:

The 3 sections in the middle there, the 3 content boxes are exactly what I want mine to look like, just obviously with different text in them but laid out the same. How would I get this?

It is just for on the homepage.I have a homepage doc type and template, and a css file for this page only.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Jan 11, 2012 @ 17:48
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Pat

From the screenshot you need some way of separating the 3 pieces of content.

From what I can see you would need to define within your homepage document type the following for each of the 3 sections:

• Heading - textstring
    • Icon - media picker
    • Description - textbox multiple or Rich text editor or simple editor (which ever best fits your needs)
    • Link Text - textstring (assuming you want to lead people into other page of your site)
    • Link To Page - content picker (assuming you want to lead people into other page of your site)

Once there are created you can then embed in the template, write an xslt or razor script and embed a macro on your home page template. Obviously there is all the styling to apply but that isn't Umbraco related per se.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

nigel

Jan 11, 2012 @ 20:45
    Pat

Thanks a lot for your reply, I have been playing around since and just seen this.

I have got that sort of layout done just by hardcoding the positionings via HTML, but it seems a bit much. Would it be more beneficial to place 3 different text editors and position them? Way I have done it works, but it is hardcoded.

I need to make them 3 text areas updatable via Umbraco, and the only way mine will be is via hardcode editing the template as it stands now.

Been trying to find a tut online for it, but can't seem to.

Jan 12, 2012 @ 14:42
    Pat

Ok update, I have been looking around and speaking to people and it sounds like i will need to create a tab for the services we offer on the home page which would contain a media picker type, a text string for the title of the service and a RTE for each of the 3 services. Then pull it through with a macro.

Does that sound right? Been using the Umbraco TV videos and some online docs too to help me with learning this, am i going in the right direction with what I said?

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Jan 12, 2012 @ 17:43
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Pat

Yes you are right and that is exactly what I explained in my post...

One suggestion - if you are able to create a "play" site why create a site and install one of the starter kits - this will then give you somethinng to view and learn from.

Nigel

Jan 12, 2012 @ 19:01
    Pat

Aye yes it was, was being stupid at the time!

I have a starter kit installed, just delved into it though initially so all this stuff confused the hell out of me

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft