Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rik Hodiamont 56 posts 156 karma points
    Jan 13, 2012 @ 16:21
    Rik Hodiamont

Multiple sites and SEO

I have a question about some problemens with multiple sites and the search results in Google.
    I use the following Umbraco structure:

Site1.nl

- Page 1  

-- SubPage1

-- SubPage 2

etc.

Site2.nl

- Page 1

-- SubPage 1

-- SubPage 2

-- SubPage 3

This works fine and Google will find the content from Site1.nl en Site2.nl. So content form SubPage 1 in Site2.nl will be find with the following URL : http://www.site2.nl/page1/subpage1.aspx. So far so good.

But the content on SubPage 3 will be find with the domain of the first node. In this case http://www.site1.nl/page1/subpage3. That's not how it should be.

In other words, why does Google find SubPage 3 with the domain site1.nl and not with site2.nl?

Thanks for your advice.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 13, 2012 @ 16:58
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Rik

When you're dealing with multiple sites in the same Umbraco installation you need to make sure that the hostnames have been setup on each node using "manage hostnames". I think that you probably already have done this part.

You also need to go to the umbracoSettings.config file and change the setting <useDomainPrefixes>false</useDomainPrefixes> to true to ensure that url's are unique when running multiple sites.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Jan 13, 2012 @ 17:03
    Rik Hodiamont

Tnx Jan. I changed the setting. Do you mean by each node, also each page and subpage or only the rootnode?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 13, 2012 @ 17:05
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Rik

Only your root node.

I should have mentioned above that after the change you should also republish the entire (go to the "Content" node and right click to choose the option).

It might also be neccessary to recycle the app pool. Then it should work :)

/Jan

Jan 13, 2012 @ 17:06
    Rik Hodiamont

Hi Jan,

Tnx, I've done that now!

Rik

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft