Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stefan 117 posts 215 karma points
    Jan 17, 2012 @ 12:22
    Stefan

Icons for document types

Hi.

I've just made a fresh install of Umbraco 4.7.1.1, and installed the FamFamFam icons. Now I can't see the icons in the dropdown on the "Info" tab.

It says that

• For performance reasons, icons will not be displayed when there are more than 100 items in the dropdown.

I would like to return this to "normal", but how can that be changed?

Thanks in advance!
    Stefan.

• alimac 182 posts 371 karma points
    Jan 17, 2012 @ 12:35
    alimac

If you want to remove the icons, you can manually delete them from the ~/umbraco/images/umbraco folder. I think if you installed it as a package that maybe you can uninstall it and it'll delete them automatically?

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Jan 17, 2012 @ 12:43
    Jeroen Breuer

If you install the Document Type Dashboard you can still see the icons in there.

Jeroen

Jan 17, 2012 @ 23:54
    Stefan

Jeroen, that looks very useful to me. It does more than solve my problem :)

Thank you for your information!

Jan 25, 2012 @ 22:45
    Stefan

The dashboard is very handy indeed, but unfortunately not usable when working with media types.

I wonder why the images of the icons in the list have been removed? I have never seen any performance related issues.
    Can anyone explain how to get them back?

• alimac 182 posts 371 karma points
    Jan 25, 2012 @ 22:55
    alimac

Definitely slows my machine down when all the icons show (in document dashboard at least anyway). I think Tom mentioned he was working on an improved version that hopefully speeds it all up.

Oh, and in order to get yours back you'd have to drop the number of icons.. unfortunately I don't know what it's capped at though..

Jan 26, 2012 @ 06:39
    Jeroen Breuer

Try to install the FamFamFam icons package. After that it's really slow. It's related to this issue: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/30511

Jeroen

• Ulrich Wagner Gade Ebsen 127 posts 277 karma points
    Feb 09, 2012 @ 18:25
    Ulrich Wagner Gade Ebsen

It should be an option... no icons by default, but with a setting to list them again...

/ulrich

Feb 13, 2012 @ 10:03
    Stefan

+1 for Ulrichs suggestion!

• Murray Roke 503 posts 966 karma points c-trib
    Mar 07, 2012 @ 21:03
    Murray Roke

I have 113 icons, and about 100 of those are the built in ones I can't delete, very frustrating.

I think the number of icons before cut-off could be configurable.

I don't really want anyone picking the default ones anyway, they're not very nice. so the ability to remove those from the list would be awesome.

I also don't see the point of having (deprecated) next to them all.

Stopping ranting now. :-)

I've added this as an issue on codeplex: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/30747

• Tim 168 posts 372 karma points
    Apr 20, 2012 @ 13:53
    Tim

>Try to install the FamFamFam icons package. After that it's really slow.

Well you're just asking for trouble if you install 1,000+ icons to pick 4-5. People should just upload what they need. It's never been slow with sub 150 for me (we don't tend to have more than that).

Irritating. I've voted on the codeplex work item too. To do it properly, there should not be any dependancy on the Umbraco backend and that icon folder...

• Mark 255 posts 612 karma points
    Oct 17, 2012 @ 16:31
    Mark

I'm getting the same issue, but I only have 72 images in the ~/umbraco/images/umbraco directory. So why does Umbraco think there are more than 100?

Is there a config file or database table that stores references to these images? If not, how does umbraco know which ones are depracted? Is it something to do with the sprites images?

I want to delete the depracted ones as I don't need them, but am unsure if they are used elsewhere in the CMS.

Oct 17, 2012 @ 16:33
    Mark

How does the fam fam package avoid the 100 icon limit?

Oct 17, 2012 @ 16:41
    Jeroen Breuer

Sebastiaan is working on a new icon picker which can show all the images without performance problems. It even has a search bar :).

Jeroen

Oct 17, 2012 @ 17:16
    Mark

Thanks Sabastiaan.

I've removed the deprecated images that I'm not using. Now I can access the list in the normal way.

For anyone wanting to know how Umbraco knows which images are deprecated, I had a look at the Umbraco source code. Only the images ~/umbraco/images/umbraco/sprites.png and ~/umbraco/images/umbraco/sprites_ie6.gif are considered current as Umbraco considers the images inside the sprites as the current ones. All the other images in the ~/umbraco/images/umbraco/ directory are considered deprecated, even those added by third party packages, i.e. Contour, uBlogsy, etc

Oct 17, 2012 @ 17:17
    Mark

Thanks Sabastiaan.

I've removed the deprecated images that I'm not using. Now I can access the list in the normal way.

For anyone wanting to know how Umbraco knows which images are deprecated, I had a look at the Umbraco source code. Only the images ~/umbraco/images/umbraco/sprites.png and ~/umbraco/images/umbraco/sprites_ie6.gif are considered current as Umbraco considers the images inside the sprites as the current ones. All the other images in the ~/umbraco/images/umbraco/ directory are considered deprecated, even those added by third party packages, i.e. Contour, uBlogsy, etc

Oct 17, 2012 @ 17:18
    Mark

not sure why my last post appeared twice!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft