Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dominic Kelly 114 posts 133 karma points
    Jan 17, 2012 @ 18:38
    Dominic Kelly

SEO tab by default?

Any way of adding an SEO tab to every data type by default?

• Rodion Novoselov 694 posts 859 karma points
    Jan 17, 2012 @ 18:59
    Rodion Novoselov

Hi. You could add it to some additional type and use it as a master type for the rest.

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Jan 17, 2012 @ 19:00
    Tom Fulton

Hi Dominic,

You can achieve this by using Master Document Types.  Most people setup a document type called 'Master' that contains the "magic" umbraco properties and an SEO tab with all of their SEO fields. Then you create all your Document Types (Home, Textpage, etc) beneath the Master, and they automatically inherit the tabs & properties from the Master.

There is a project that has an example template you can start from if you need some guidance:  Master DocType Template

But, this is really only effective if you plan it ahead of time.  If your doctypes are already created, you can't switch their Master at a later time.  So if you've already created them and don't want to delete & recreate, you would need to add them manually -- or -- you could also use the DocTypeMixins package, which will allow you to create a "mixin" doctype called SEO and easily apply it to any doctypes that need it.

Hope this helps,
    Tom

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dominic

In Umbraco 4 that can be done by creating a document type master where you create the tabs that all of your content nodes have and then you just create document types like "home" and "textpage" etc. with the master as the parent.

In v5 it's going to be a whole lot more flexible and easy.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Jan Skovgaard

Whoops, I was a little late there :)

/Jan

Jan 17, 2012 @ 19:01
    Tom Fulton

Triple-crosspost!  The more the merrier ;)

Jan 17, 2012 @ 19:04
    Jan Skovgaard

Haha indeed, never experienced a tripple before - great minds think alike! #H5WR ;-)

/Jan

Jan 17, 2012 @ 19:19
    Dominic Kelly

Hmm shame I've already created al my Doc Types...

How easy is it to access data via a Mixin?

As simple as?

<umbraco:Itemfield="seokeyword"runat="server"/>

Jan 17, 2012 @ 19:20
    Tom Fulton

Yes, the data access is exactly the same as if the property were added to your doc type.

Jan 17, 2012 @ 19:22
    Dominic Kelly

Excellent, I'll give that a try.

Jan 17, 2012 @ 19:37
    Dominic Kelly

Hmm can't for the life of me figure this out. I've added the Mixin, created an SEO tab, created the properties, selected all child nodetypes, clicked save. Am I now supposed to see the SEO tab on all other doc types?

Jan 17, 2012 @ 19:49
    Dominic Kelly

I'm on Umbraco 4.1.1.1 which is apparently untested.

Jan 17, 2012 @ 19:54
    Dominic Kelly

Ok, so I need to create a child mixin... Got it now.

Jan 17, 2012 @ 20:05
    Dominic Kelly

Respect to the developer for taking the time to do this plugin, but it's massively buggy. Could have done this manually in half the time!

Jan 17, 2012 @ 20:08
    Tom Fulton

Hi Dominic,

I must admit I haven't used the package much but I'm pretty sure a lot of others use it succesfully.  If you find any bugs you may want to raise them on the DocTypeMixins forums so the developers can fix them. 

And definitely use Master Document Types the next time you have a chance, it will save you a lot of time :)

-Tom

Jan 17, 2012 @ 20:20
    Dominic Kelly

Yup, I'll go with Master Document Types next time around. The biggest problem is once the properties have been copied over, it's not easy to update them from the mixin, so you end up renaming them, then forgetting to add them to tabs (which I think also need to have unique names) and the result are fields all over the place! Nice idea, and probably find if you know the exact process for doing it, but this pretty much sums up my first Umbraco experience - no documentation, extremely unintuative, no polish and .net errors all over the place. I can totally see this CMS is great for developers, but it desperately needs a marketing guy to overhaul the entire experience.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft