Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Jul 08, 2009 @ 16:56
    dandrayne

Bug in rich text editor (webkit browsers)

v: 4.0.2.1

When pasting (plain text) content in to the editor using chrome, the following strange behaviour occurs

* Copy text content from notepad
    * Press ctrl_v to paste in to editor
    ** At this point nothing appears in the editor, but viewing the html source shows something like the following:

<div id="_mcePaste" style="position: absolute; left: -10000px; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: hidden;">  [SNIP]...

The content is pasted in to the editor, but in a hidden div.  Pasting again will paste the content in using <p> tags, but the original hidden div will be there, along with duplicated content.  Even after publishing the page these hidden divs will remain in the published page.

This seems to be a known issue with tinymce & webkit browsers. Probably worth pointing out here however for any users that run into this.

The only workaround I can find currently in umbraco is to paste using the "paste from word" button.  This however wraps the plain text in divs instead of p tags, which is far from ideal.

A heads-up - best to use firefox or IE to admin sites until this is sorted.  Hidden duplicate content could be seen as keyword stuffing by google and incur penalties. 

Dan

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Oct 13, 2009 @ 23:51
    Morten Bock

I can confirm this, as I just experienced the same when copying text into TinyMCE using Chrome. I didn't think it was caused by the browser, but I may need to use FF when doing this sort of stuff. Thanks :)

• Dennis van Gijn 1 post 21 karma points
    Feb 02, 2010 @ 16:25
    Dennis van Gijn

Same problem here...

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Feb 02, 2010 @ 16:26
    Stefan Kip

Same problem here...

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Feb 02, 2010 @ 16:31
    dandrayne

Are you guys getting it in 4.0.3?  It's a bit of a showstopper as far as using webkit-based browsers for editing umbraco sites

Here's another similar ticket

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2896255&group_id=103281&atid=635682

and here is a purported workaround

http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=18341

Dan

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Feb 02, 2010 @ 18:31
    Morten Bock

It is still the same in 4.0.3 as far as I can tell, but you can just click the "paste from word" button, and paste the plain text into that textarea. Works fine, and does not completely spoil the editing experience. 

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Mar 13, 2010 @ 10:36
    Rich Green

:( Any fix for this?

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Mar 13, 2010 @ 10:40
    Rich Green

Or at least anyway to easily clean content? My client has been editing with Chrome for a couple of weeks now..

• Bruce Clark 56 posts 80 karma points
    May 14, 2010 @ 23:12
    Bruce Clark

Same issue here, Safari and Chrome have the problem. We've moved to firefox for content editing, that is not a long term solution.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft