Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jon Boyer 37 posts 59 karma points
    Jan 25, 2012 @ 22:13
    Jon Boyer

Poor UI labelling

I'm really fed up with this one.

In the members section, there is an area to allocate members to different member groups

Why aren't the two columns labelled?  Is the left hand column for "groups that this person is in?".  Or is this the "list of all possible groups?"

Similarly, when setting access to pages:

Which column is which, and why isn't there a label on the columns?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 25, 2012 @ 22:25
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jon

That's a very good point. Must admit that I have never thought about it since I find it very intuitive to just move the group from left to right, in order to make a member part of a group.

However I agree that it could (and should) indeed be made more obvious by adding some labels. I think that it's something that has simply been overlooked.

You could try to add a bug report on http://codeplex.com/umbraco and maybe there is a small chance that this change could be added in another bug fixing release in the future. However I doubt it, since Umbraco 5 is the future and the final release is just around the corner.

I don't know if this is something that is already fixed in the member section of U5, since I have not played around with the version that includes this section yet. However if labels have not been added I'm confident that a bug report on http://issues.umbraco.org/dashboard will make it into the core.

/Jan

• Jon Boyer 37 posts 59 karma points
    Jan 25, 2012 @ 23:05
    Jon Boyer

Thanks Jan.

I'm somewhat calmer now  - my problem was made worse by a faulty keyboard, so all my test login attempts were failing (and because it was a password field I couldn't even see the problem, of course).

I think that's part of the problem with umbraco - once you know what you're doing with a section, it's obvious and easy, but when dealing with a a chunk that you aren't familiar with you suddenly find labels missing and a complete lack of useful documentation on the subject.  There's been a couple of threads about here recently on that subject.

Sigh.  Maybe I'd better put my time where my mouth is and write some...

I  haven't looked into v5 at all yet, but I'd be surprised if there aren't a lot of 4.7 sites around for a long time yet.  You even still see posts from people asking how to do things in the old xslt schema!

Jan 25, 2012 @ 23:20
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jon

Yes I was actually suprised to realise that I've never thought it was strange that these fields did not have any labels. One is getting a bit blind when one is so used to how it all works. So I think it's great that you point it out and I definently think you should try creating the issue as a bug on codeplex as mentioned. And yes I'm confident that v 4 based sites will have a liftetime for at least 2-3 years from now.

I still do dev on v4.0.2.1 based sites :-)

If you place a issue on codeplex please post it in here so others who come by this post can vote it up.

/Jan

• Mike Chambers 635 posts 1252 karma points c-trib
    Jan 26, 2012 @ 00:27
    Mike Chambers

just a quick proof of concept... but as it's the admin and already using jquery why not inject them? (without a need to modify the source)

$(document).ready(function(){
       $('Possible Groups').insertBefore('select[id$="Membergroups_posVals"]');
       $('Selected Groups').insertBefore('select[id$="Membergroups_selVals"]');
     });

Add this into the script tag at the top of the \umbraco\members\editmembers.aspx page.

Obviously just a proof of concept as should be a label and css needs updating for posisitioning. 

;-)

Actually just thinking about it you'd probably want to add a thead to the table and some th's... but same applies just inject with jquery. ;-)

$(document).ready(function(){
       $('<tr><td>Possible Groups</td><td></td><td>Selected Groups</td></tr>').insertBefore('span[id$="Membergroups"] > table tr:first');
     });

tried the th, but the underlying css causes alignment issues... td looks ok though :-) I'll leave you to finesse...

Jan 28, 2012 @ 01:02
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mike

Must admit that the way I see it don't think it's a good idea to alter the core files by yourself since changes will perhaps get lost during upgrades and all kind of stuff could go wrong. The missing labels should simply be fixed in the core.

But as long as people know the risks and dependent on the situation they should feel free to hack around since it can be funny to do - but just be aware of the risks :)

/Jan

• Mike Chambers 635 posts 1252 karma points c-trib
    Jan 28, 2012 @ 01:17
    Mike Chambers

In the main I agree with you... but for a quick simplistic amend for something that may or may not be fixed in the core (I doubt this would be seen as high enough priority to make it), I think it's perfectly valid to have this approach you just have to decide on the possible impact vs the annoyance, and test, test, test :-)

Whenever I update... I always use a synchonization tool (my weapon of choice total commander) to check to see just what has been altered (in the umbraco, umbraco_client and bin folders)... one it either reminds me to reapply my changes, or highlights where files haven't actually altered so I can save bandwidth, time, money etc just uploading changed files :-) Sometimes it even highlights errors in the updates (esp with nightly builds seen a few random chars floating around in js files from time to time)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft