Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Juliana Doupe 3 posts 23 karma points
    Feb 21, 2012 @ 00:49
    Juliana Doupe

Working in HTML on Umbraco

Hi,

I'm new to this CMS and am trying to make some changes to a clients website.

Sorry, not sure what version of Umbraco the site's in.

Anyway, if I change something in HTML, the system won't update it.

Very frustrating, as there's some formatting issues that can only be solved in HTML.

When I make my changes in HTML and then click Update, the screen goes blank, then I hit Save and it takes me back where I started, that is, the visual back-end with the original HTML intact.

Help please!

• Ernst Utvik 123 posts 235 karma points
    Feb 21, 2012 @ 02:32
    Ernst Utvik

Hi Juliana

Are you trying to edit the templates (in the settings section) or the html in the rich-text-editors (text boxes in the content section).

If the latter there is a setting for the tinyMCE editor that prevent you from making certain changes to the HTML. Check out the wiki :)

Btw, this is a great package for editing config files in Umbraco. 

Good luck ;)

Feb 21, 2012 @ 05:09
    Juliana Doupe

Hi Ernst,

thanks for your post.

I had a look at the wiki which seemed to say disable the auto correct at your peril and didn't make clear whether disabling it would effect the whole site or just the page I was working on.

Any thoughts?

J

• Markus Johansson 1911 posts 5757 karma points MVP c-trib
    Feb 21, 2012 @ 06:43
    Markus Johansson

Hi Juliana!

If you change some of the config-files you may need to touch web.config in the root for the app to recycle and for the changes to take effect. What are you trying to do? Insert html into the rich text editors html-editor mode? What kind of html?

Feb 21, 2012 @ 06:57
    Juliana Doupe

Hi,

don't think I'll be playing with the config stuff - I'm only on board this project to update content on the site as opposed to being a webmaster.

When I say HTML, I mean the code behind the visual interface.

For example, instead of clicking the Bold icon, you could just type <strong>... that's about the level of my coding expertise but I do find using the code interface useful when items won't format properly.

When this happens I usually go into the code interface and delete all the extra code that's stuffing up the formatting BUT Umbraco just pops it right back in again!

Very frustrating.

Sorry I don't know all the jargon - hope you can understand me :)

J

• Markus Johansson 1911 posts 5757 karma points MVP c-trib
    Feb 21, 2012 @ 09:43
    Markus Johansson

Hi!

When you say "just type strong" are you doing that in the "HTML"-popup in the rich text editor? That should work. If you delete something in the HTML-popup that should be reflected in the rich text editor as well. The filter that we are talking about will only exclude some elements, there is a filter build in to TinyMCE (the rich text editor) and other in the umbraco core. Both will be applied when you save a content node.

Could you provide som screenshots to explain?

• Ernst Utvik 123 posts 235 karma points
    Feb 21, 2012 @ 09:54
    Ernst Utvik

Disabling the TidyEditorContent option and allowing all markup would be a site-wide change.

If you do a minor change, like just a character in the text while in html mode and then hit update/save, does it change that back as well? If so Tidy is probably not the source of your problems.

Could you try using another browser? Not sure if it could have something to do with it but worth a try i guess :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft