Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Jul 14, 2009 @ 14:20
    Rik Helsen

Problems when testing translator functionality

I'm experimenting with the translater functionality but have run into some issues:

* I created a 2 sites, one with dutch and another with english locale

* I created a new user "Eddy" of the type "translator", set his language to Dutch, and gave this user access to the "translations" section only,

* I assigned a page and all subpages to Eddy for translation and provided a 4 word comment.

* now when i login as "Eddy" and view my translation tasks, when i click on view task details i get this server error:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Server Error in '/' Application.
    Column 'Name' does not belong to table .
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Column 'Name' does not belong to table .

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentException: Column 'Name' does not belong to table .]
       System.Data.DataRow.GetDataColumn(String columnName) +1777717
       System.Data.DataRow.set_Item(String columnName, Object value) +12
       umbraco.presentation.umbraco.translation.details.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1375
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
       umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +15
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627

----------------------------------------------------------------

The only link that does work is "Download XML" -> then i get this output:

BODY{font:x-small 'Verdana';margin-right:1.5em} .c{cursor:hand} .b{color:red;font-family:'Courier New';font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none} .e{margin-left:1em;text-indent:-1em;margin-right:1em} .k{margin-left:1em;text-indent:-1em;margin-right:1em} .t{color:#990000} .xt{color:#990099} .ns{color:red} .dt{color:green} .m{color:blue} .tx{font-weight:bold} .db{text-indent:0px;margin-left:1em;margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-left:.3em;border-left:1px solid #CCCCCC;font:small Courier} .di{font:small Courier} .d{color:blue} .pi{color:blue} .cb{text-indent:0px;margin-left:1em;margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-left:.3em;font:small Courier;color:#888888} .ci{font:small Courier;color:#888888} PRE{margin:0px;display:inline}   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    - <tasks>
    - <task Id="4" Date="2009-07-14T14:12:06" NodeId="1118" TotalWords="5">
    - <Comment>
    - <![CDATA[ doe maar
      ]]>
      </Comment>
      <PreviewUrl>http://localhost/umbraco/translation/preview.aspx?id=4</PreviewUrl>;
    - <node id="1118" version="ccdf2586-1cb5-4fd8-87ab-6920e178885e" parentID="1117" level="4" writerID="0" creatorID="0" nodeType="1099" template="1100" sortOrder="1" createDate="2009-07-14T11:17:22" updateDate="2009-07-14T11:21:09" nodeName="level2" urlName="level2" writerName="Administrator" creatorName="Administrator" nodeTypeAlias="textpage" path="-1,1114,1115,1117,1118">
    - <data alias="Democontent">
    - <![CDATA[ <p>vqsdfqsdfqsdf qsdfqsdfqdf</p>

]]>
      </data>
      <data alias="DemoTitle">level2</data>
      <data alias="DemoNavtitle">level2</data>
      </node>
      </task>
      </tasks>

Does anyone have ideas what might be causing this?

Kind regards,

Rik

• Tim 225 posts 690 karma points
    Jul 14, 2009 @ 14:39
    Tim

Hi Rik,

I think this codeplex issue http://umbraco.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=23234 

is what you are experiencing.

Jul 14, 2009 @ 15:14
    Rik Helsen

I just did a quick test by changing the translator's language to English and this did resolve the errors, so that ticket seems to be accurate!

one more question: Is there a way for translators to work without up and downloading xml files? i would find a bit more userfriendly if they got an editing window as the content managers (admins) do...

Jul 14, 2009 @ 15:29
    Tim

As far as I'm aware XML upload and download is the only way it works.

I agree that it's currently not terribly user friendly, this for me is probably the least polished part of Umbraco.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jul 14, 2009 @ 15:51
    Dirk De Grave

As I commented in Codeplex, a small code change will resolve this, so it's quite safe to change the source and overwrite the umbraco assembly.

As for the xml's, I was told at the level 1 training (april 2008) that this is the format which is being used by most translation software utils, not sure if this is still valid tho?

Cheers,

/Dirk

Jul 14, 2009 @ 16:47
    Rik Helsen

I've never seen software like this in action, but for most small level websites (less than 1000 pages), i think the translators are often inside the company that is maintaining the website, and would appreciate the tinymce editor so they can keep the markup of text as they replace it by the target language...

What happens now when a translator translates the text in xml and uploads them again? does a content manager get a notice to restyle the entire document according to the markup of the website?

Kind regards,

Rik

Jul 14, 2009 @ 18:31
    Tim

Have to agree with you on this Rik.

All the multi-lingual sites I've worked on including one for J.P. Morgan have not used translation software like this. Normally it doesn't get much more sophisticated than an Excel spreadsheet of text to translate which is then pasted back into the site!

• Vivek Ranjan 1 post 21 karma points
    Jun 18, 2010 @ 11:58
    Vivek Ranjan

I need some support in the testing approach for translation software. Can any one help?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft