Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrew Waegel 126 posts 126 karma points
    Mar 08, 2012 @ 21:30
    Andrew Waegel

Incredibly frustrating time adding properties on established sites

Hello,

I've run my umbraco site for a few years and have been singing its praises, but now I'm stuck with a problem that I just cannot solve, even though I thought I understood it.

We have a main master document type with several sub-types underneath it. There are about 500 nodes on the site that use it. It has 34 properties. Adding a new property, which I do every few months or so, has been getting slower and slower, and now I can't do it at all without getting a timeout, as originally posted by someone else here:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/27003-SQL-timing-out-when-adding-a-new-property-to-a-doctype

.. and on codeplex, though closed:

http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/23075?ProjectName=umbraco

I thought this had to do with too many revisions, so I loaded up FALM Housekeeping and trimmed all those to the last 5 weeks, and reduced the size of cmsDocuemnt from about 220k to 17k entries (though i don't fully understand the db structure.

This was no help, the property type update still hangs, and I'm really stuck burning time with the bosses complaining. My next step is to fetch the source and start debugging, but if anyone has any suggestions, they would be much appreciated.

• Andrew Waegel 126 posts 126 karma points
    Mar 09, 2012 @ 02:38
    Andrew Waegel

Worked around this by changing the "populatePropertyData" method in businesslogic/ContentType.cs to use a straight SqlCommand instead of SqlHelper - takes about 35 sec. (this is after trimming down the revisions) but it works.

I never worked with te Umbraco source before and am not a deep .net guy, but it worked much more smoothly than I expected. Happy to help talk anyone through it.

Hopefully this has been fixed or made irrelevant in v 5.0?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft