Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• olst 69 posts 88 karma points
    Mar 13, 2012 @ 20:45
    olst

2 umbraco sites (back-ends) for 1 database

I would like to know if there is a way to associate two umbraco back-ends to one database. Basically I already have an umbraco site and would like to create the same exact site, but disable all access to the front-end.

• Ernst Utvik 123 posts 235 karma points
    Mar 13, 2012 @ 20:51
    Ernst Utvik

I'm thinking that would be a bit messy with two installs fighting over the same db tables. May I ask what is the purpose of this setup?

Mar 14, 2012 @ 09:32
    olst

Hi. Sorry for the late response ... I need it because I don't want to reveal my site details to the editors (there is a very large number of editors), so is it even possible to do ? Is there some way to disable the link to the front end from every properties page ?  or maybe there's a way to do it by a setting for the user account of type editor ?

Mar 14, 2012 @ 09:33
    olst

Hi. Sorry for the late response ... I need it because I don't want to reveal my site details to the editors (there is a very large number of editors), so is it even possible to do ? Is there some way to disable the link to the front end from every properties page ?  or maybe there's a way to do it by a setting for the user account of type editor ?

• Michael Latouche 504 posts 819 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Mar 14, 2012 @ 09:56
    Michael Latouche

Hi Olst,

In Umbraco back-end you have a very granular built-in security/access mechanism, from which you can specify up to single page what a user can do or not. You can also specify to which parts of the back-end the user has access to (content, dev, settings, user, etc.).

So, I think that by using those access functionalities, you could use a single instance to manage the site and the site structure yourself, and let the editors only access the (part of the) content they are allowed to see.

Cheers,

Michael.

Mar 14, 2012 @ 10:33
    olst

Michael, Umbraco indeed has a very flexible security mechanism. The problem is that if I allow even one content node to edited (and the link is visible), then consequently the whole site will be public. I've created a new item on the user permissions node, but have not found a way to disable access to the site. Is there a way to somehow hide the link in code or maybe a database field to change ? It is crucial for us...

Thanks in advance...

Mar 14, 2012 @ 10:54
    Michael Latouche

Hi Olst,

To make sure I understand correctly: you have a site that you want the editors to edit in Umbraco back-end, but they should not be able to see the actual site. Does this mean that access to the "real" front-end site is password protected and you do not want the editor to access it via the preview link? If it is something of that kind, maybe you could put some security check in your masterpage(s) so that (for example) if the user is in the editor group, you automatically redirect him to a "no access" page.

Or maybe you can update the Umbraco page in order to remove the "preview" link.

Does any of this make sense, or am I missing your point?

Cheers,

Michael.

Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:35
    olst

It's making a lot of sense, Michael your first idea is a valid and a very good idea. But just for completeness sake, how would I implement the second idea (update the umbraco page in order to remove the preview link)?

Mar 14, 2012 @ 12:39
    Michael Latouche

Hi Olst,

Great :-)

For the second option, I don't know where precisely, but if you look at the core structure under the "umbraco" (or umbracoclient?) directory, you should be able to find the aspx or ascx page that is used to display that link. The full edit page is "editcontent.aspx", so a good start might be to find that one and then drill down to the subparts to find where the "link to" info is actually displayed.

I don't have access to an Umbraco structure right here so I can't be very precise, but I guess that you get the idea :-)

Also, be carefull that if you update such a "base" file, it will be overwritten if you do a re-install, upgrade, ..., so keep a copy in a safe place.

Cheers,

Michael.

Mar 14, 2012 @ 13:05
    olst

OK, got you ! Thanks for your help. The "Editcontent.aspx" lives under the Umbraco dir. But I think I'll stick with the first idea, since I have an already-built version of umbraco, and if I understand correctly, in order to change the way the link-to appears only for a certain user type, I would have to add custom code and build it using the full version of umbraco.

Thanks again Michael !

Mar 14, 2012 @ 13:19
    Michael Latouche

You're welcome :-)

I think the first is also more "secure" in that sense that the check is done server-side and that you cannot get around it. So, even if the editor would "guess" the site structure somehow and enter the URL's directly in his browser, it will get the "no access" page.

Cheers,

Michael.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft