Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert 19 posts 39 karma points
    Mar 21, 2012 @ 03:20
    Robert

Make New Document Flow

Basically I am trying to setup a custom content section within Umbraco. 

From using reflector, basically when it creates a default node/doc it appears to adds records to 3 tables in the following order:

umbraconode
    cmscontent
    cmsdocument

I have been following Umbraco tutorials and basically in their example they only created one table for the custom content nodes and they don't reference the tables above at all. I want to be able to tag nodes in this new section but with it not linked to any of the above tables this is not possible.

How should I get around this or is it best to add the custom section nodes to the 3 tables above?

Thanks
    Robert

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Mar 21, 2012 @ 08:36
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Robert,

Those tables only work with the normal Umbraco Content and use the Umbraco API instead of direct data access. What do you want to achive with your custom content. Shouldn't content be put in the normal content tree? There are several ways to exclude content from the normal tree and only make it visible in a custom section this is how Uwebshop and teacommerce maintain their product catalog. I'm interested in what you want to achieve.

Cheers,

Richard

• Robert 19 posts 39 karma points
    Mar 21, 2012 @ 11:02
    Robert

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply.

Well I was just putting it in a seperate section basically for organisation. The site will let people create nodes programatically, there could be 1000s of them following a structure like:

Root Node
    - Version 1
      -- Node 1
      -- Node 2
    - Version 2
    - Version 3 

The Version content folder I want to be based on a dropdown list in the node creation, so if they choose version 1 this will be under version 1 etc.

Ok, so your saying I should just create content normally in the content section, then hide it from this section and display it in my custom section instead?

Im very new to Umbraco so still learning how best to do things and how things work.

Thanks
    Robert 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft