Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Darren Wilson 229 posts 597 karma points
    Mar 21, 2012 @ 13:32
    Darren Wilson

Problem with Rich Text Editor Window

Hi Folks,

I've encountered a problem with a Rich Text Editor property on my site (4.7). When I'm viewing the content the Rich Text window appears blank, I can't type into it (the content does appear for a split second!) or see what's there. However, when the html is viewed all of the content is there. It has been working fine - has anyone encountered the same problem. It's being viewed in Firefox 11 on a mac?

Thanks

Darren

• Grant Thomas 291 posts 324 karma points
    Mar 21, 2012 @ 14:49
    Grant Thomas

Are there any errors reported in the console of your browser on this page?

Mar 21, 2012 @ 14:50
    Darren Wilson

No, it appears to be a mac thing - I tried IE on a PC and noe problems. I have just upgraded my firefox too.

Darren

Mar 21, 2012 @ 14:52
    Grant Thomas

Not necessarily a 'mac thing', have you tried FF on PC too? Could be an FF-specific issue.

Mar 21, 2012 @ 14:56
    Darren Wilson

It's not working in Safari and Chrome on the Mac either!

• Shmuel Kessler 9 posts 32 karma points
    Mar 21, 2012 @ 20:01
    Shmuel Kessler

I just created an account here to ask the very same question. Here's my situation:

Problem:

• -RTE can’t take focus on backend
    • -View Source (or firebug) shows the contents of the RTE within an iframe
    • -When node is loading, the content of the RTE flashes for a very brief time, maybe 50-100ms

Circumstances:

• -TinyMCE v3 - No recent upgrades
    • -Umbraco 4.7 - No recent upgrades
    • -Experiencing this on FF 11.0 though the FF upgrade was a few days ago and it didn't start happening until yesterday
    • -Experiencing this even in Firefox safemode
    • -Not experiencing on Firefox 3.6 even with Firebug installed (tested on a different machine)
    • -I am NOT currently experiencing this issue on Chrome 17.0.963.79 m
    • -No errors in firebug console
    • -The only things I was messing with that (I'd consider) relevant are that I was changing caching settings. This was both in the settings file as well as macro caching. Specifically, one of the macros is an iframe (though I don't know if that iframe macro is what TinyMCE RTE uses to render its content).

Steps I've taken to try to fix this, unsuccessfully:

• -Set caching on all the macros to 0
    • -Delete the contents of the ClientDependency folder
    • -Touch web.config
    • -Run /Umbraco/dialogs/republish.aspx?xml=true
    • -Run /Umbraco/dialogs/republish.aspx?xml=true
    • -Touch web.config
    • -Recycle the application pool

Here's where it gets really interesting. Opening firebug fixes the problem. The content appears and the RTE can take focus. (Though originally this wasn't fixing it.)

Things I’m thinking:

• Is javascript being cached somewhere?
    • I’ve been experiencing really slow loading time of the site which is why I messed with cache in the first place. Could this be an AJAX related issue?

As I'm finishing writing this, I just got an error as I opened the Firebug console (which - once again - solved the issue). I have no idea what this is and whether it's needed for the RTE.

Image corrupt or truncated: http://.../umbraco_client/Tree/Themes/umbraco/throbber.gif
    http://.../umbraco_client/ui/jquery.js?cdv=1
    Line 31

This is being called by line 31 of http://../umbraco_client/ui/jquery.js?cdv=1.

Hope I didn't give too much information to turn you off but if you have any questions I didn't answer or steps to try, please let me know!

Shmuel

Mar 21, 2012 @ 20:25
    Grant Thomas

Shmuel, what operating system are you on? Mac, like Darren?

Do either of you have any plugins/addons installed? (I don't think Firebug is bundled with FF). These things are notorious for wreaking havoc on otherwise stable pages.

Mar 21, 2012 @ 20:28
    Shmuel Kessler

Grant,

I'm on Windows for all three tests, FF 11, FF 3.6 and Chrome. I do have plugins installed but even when I restarted in safe mode with all plugins disabled, I still have the problem.

• Olli Tyynelä 1 post 21 karma points
    Mar 22, 2012 @ 09:30
    Olli Tyynelä

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same issue: only one RTE accepts focus if the tab has multiple ones of them. If the RTE's are divided to their own tabs everything works.

Using MAC firefox 11.0

Also did a quick test on a windows computer and its firefox had same issues (Fx 11.0), but IE 8.0.xxx worked as usual.

Iv noticed the issue just now in a new project and also experiencing it with an old project.

:O

• Rodion Novoselov 694 posts 859 karma points
    Mar 22, 2012 @ 18:52
    Rodion Novoselov

Hi. It looks very similar to this:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/ourumb-dev-forum/bugs/29911-RTE-doesn't-work-in-FF11

Folk say that the rescue copter is already on the way :-)

May 02, 2012 @ 05:37
    Shmuel Kessler

Updated to FF12. Fixed.

• Joe Niemann 11 posts 32 karma points
    May 07, 2012 @ 20:50
    Joe Niemann

I am having this same issue in versions 4.7.2 in both Google Chrome v18.0.1025.168 and Firefox v12.0, IE 9 seems fine. This is very weird.

• Joe Niemann 11 posts 32 karma points
    May 07, 2012 @ 20:55
    Joe Niemann

But wait, I just tried to type something new into the rich text editor window and it disappeared after 3 character. View the HTML it is there, but you can't see it in the window. This is a major problem, any solutions out there?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft