Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mathias 2 posts 22 karma points
    Mar 28, 2012 @ 17:55
    Mathias

How do you develop your website?

Hey,

I would just like to know how to develop a website using umbraco - isen't there anyway to use visual studio 2010 with umbraco? - so that i could write all my code / design the website in VS2010 and then "publish" it to umbraco? or do i have to use the umbraco edit file function?

Well.. if you use some sort of other method wich makes it easyer than using umbraco directly please let me know.

• Mike Chambers 636 posts 1253 karma points c-trib
    Mar 28, 2012 @ 18:25
    Mike Chambers

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/codegarden-2009/open-space-minutes/working-in-visual-studio-when-developing-umbraco-solutions

maybe also disable access to the developer and settings sections for your admins/editors, so that you don't wipe out any changes that they might make through the umbraco admin interface...

• Dimitris Tsoukakis 33 posts 59 karma points
    Mar 30, 2012 @ 09:58
    Dimitris Tsoukakis

Hi Mathias, 

You don't need the edit file functionality at all.

Personally, I declare my Razor/XSLT macros or Templates, using the Developer and Settings sections and then I edit them using VS.

After declaration if you don't see them in Solution Explorer, refresh the masterpages/macroscripts/xslt folders accordingly and you will see the files there. 

Dimitris

• lucuma 261 posts 563 karma points
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 20:35
    lucuma

If you are working solo, I find it easier to:

1.  Create a new solution for the prjoect with one base project to be used for extending umbraco by adding any events or webservices. 

2.  Add the ubmraco install as a website project (now you have two)

3.  Setup VS's post build event on your first project to copy the dll to the umbraco folder

You can use VS to manage the scripts,js,css,less,etc in your website project.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft