Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Phillip Ng 148 posts 250 karma points
    Mar 30, 2012 @ 20:11
    Phillip Ng

One Umbraco install with managed hostnames but can't use URL Rewrites

Hey everyone

I've hit a bit of a roadblock and could use some advice. I have one application set-up in IIS7 named "website1.com," with Umbraco 4.7.1 installed on it. I am managing hostnames with two top-level domains, website1.com and website2.com. The first pertinent question here would probably be if this is good practice or if TLDs should be on different instances of Umbraco -- we've run into problems with this in the past. website1 has launched already and using URL Rewrite Module to create 301 redirects from the client's old domain to the Umbraco site. Now I am trying to launch and implement 301 redirects on website2, but wouldn't the 301's apply to website1 still since they are both on the same app in IIS? Is there a way in the Rewrite Module to target specific hostnames? Like "implement this specific Rewrite Map for website1" and "implement that specific Rewrite Map for website2." Thanks, I really appreciate the consideration!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 31, 2012 @ 17:42
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Phillip

It's perfectly legit to run more than one site in the same Umbraco instance. But you must be aware that you need to change the <useDomainPrefix> value in umbracoSettings.config in the config folder from "false" to "true". Otherwise it's possible to access content from website2.com on website1.com. When this has been set the url's are unique and you avoid potential duplicate content issues.

Then you must of course set the hostnames on each site in Umbraco, which you have already done. In order to be able to make unique url rewriting I think you need to setup two IIS websites for each of your websites. So in IIS you have website1.com and website2.com both pointing to the same Umbraco instance and I think that should be all...

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Apr 02, 2012 @ 20:07
    Phillip Ng

If both applications are pointing at the same instance of Umbraco, wouldn't they also be using the same web.config file? In which the rewrites would affect both website1 and website2, right?

Apr 10, 2012 @ 03:03
    Phillip Ng

Any other suggestions?

• Sébastien Richer 194 posts 430 karma points
    Jul 10, 2012 @ 23:11
    Sébastien Richer

Yes one single web.config will run all sites.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft