Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Uranday 32 posts 53 karma points
    Apr 07, 2012 @ 18:37
    Uranday

umbraco 5 permissions, item not showing

I'm very new to Umbraco, so probably I'm missing some basic concepts.

I try to restrict content to users that are loged in. To do so I created a seperate group in Umbraco and added an user to this group. In the sample application I tried 2 things:

• restricting access to a page
    • restrict access to a content block

On both content items I putted the View permission to deny in the anonymous group and to Allow in the newly created group.

The page is now removed from the menu, but also it does not show up in the menu after the user was loged in. When I access the link directly the page is still accessible in both scenario's.

The content item that I restricted access to (a book in the sample app) does not show up for the anonymous user and for the newly created user.

Instead of this behavior I expected Umbraco to show everything when a user is loged in and has the correct rights and hide (and restrict access) for the anonymous user. Is this possible?

• Matt Brailsford 4124 posts 22215 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Apr 26, 2012 @ 20:01
    Matt Brailsford

Hey Patrick,

I'm not sure which version you are working with at the moment (the Anoymous User was removed, as it was a mis understanding in the implementation).

In Umbraco, you basically have to types of people. User and Members. Users access the back office, and Members or front end (thing restricted area on a website).

To restrict access to pages for a User in the back office, you'll use the "Permissions" context menu item to revoke view permission (note, the user will still be able to see the page on the front end).

To restrict view access to page for Members on the front end, you'll use the "Public Access" context menu to require a certain Member Group for the current logged in member to be part of to be able to view the page. Once public access is enabled, any anonymous access to the page will be disallowed, and visitors will be redirected to the login page instead.

I hope that gives you enough information these two concepts.

Many thanks

Matt

PS Applogies for not responding to your question sooner.

• Uranday 32 posts 53 karma points
    Apr 26, 2012 @ 20:05
    Uranday

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your response. I'm trying to find my way and I start to like the system more and more. This explains the concepts very good and give me enough pointers to get working with them.

Patrick

• Matt Brailsford 4124 posts 22215 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Apr 26, 2012 @ 20:07
    Matt Brailsford

Excellent, I'm glad I could help.

Keep up the good work. Your definitely a trail blazer =)

Matt

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft