Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• jonok 297 posts 657 karma points
    Jul 21, 2009 @ 17:29
    jonok

Home page redirect - will it affect SEO?

Hi, I have set up the following Umbraco structure:

Content -Sites
    --Site1
    ---Site1Page1
    ----AnotherPageLevel
    ---Site1Page2
    ---Site1Page3
    --Site2
    --Site3

...with the 'Sites' node being used so that I can control the CMS user permissions (ie. stop the client from creating new 'site' nodes, and stop them from deleting or ordering the sites). If I load the default/root page of the app then it loads the 'Sites' node which is blank because it is basically just a placeholder. I've set up a redirect on the 'Sites' node that goes to 'Site1' and that works fine. My only concern is that the redirect could effect how google indexes the page (because the home page is a redirect). If I load 'mydomain.com', then I get redirected to 'mydomain.com/Site1.aspx'. Does anybody know if this will affect how google indexes the site? Or is there away to set the node 'Site1' so that it is the default root node of the entire app?

Thanks.

• Heather Floyd 603 posts 1001 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jul 21, 2009 @ 17:58
    Heather Floyd

Have you tried right-clicking on "Site1" in the Content Tree and setting a hostname directly? I'm not sure whether your different "Sites" each have a different domain name or not...but you could try this.

~Heather

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 22, 2009 @ 09:15
    Morten Bock

You could do a url rewrite that juss shows your Site1.apsx page while keeping just the domain in the adress bar. Take a look at /config/UrlRewriting.config

• Iain Smallwood 8 posts 27 karma points
    Jul 22, 2009 @ 11:06
    Iain Smallwood

Maybe a silly question but could you not do this through the web server i.e. set a default document?

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Jul 22, 2009 @ 11:08
    Peter Dijksterhuis

@Iain No, that would break the functionality of umbraco. Note that the pages do not fysically exist on disk in umbraco.

• Soeren Sprogoe 575 posts 259 karma points
    Jul 22, 2009 @ 11:55
    Soeren Sprogoe

@morten: Doesn't UrlRewriting like that break link functionality in TinyMCE?

I suggest trying out what Heather says. Haven't tried it myself, but it sounds like the right thing to do.

Otherwise, be sure you do a 301 Permanent Redirect. Don't use a JavaScript based redirect, or the default .NET Response.Redirect (as it is only issues a temporary redirect).

You can check out my old redirect package, but it is untested on v4.

/SoerenS

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Jul 22, 2009 @ 12:45
    dandrayne

What status code is being returned for the redirect?  If it's a 302 it may affect SEO, if it's a 301 you should be ok

Jul 22, 2009 @ 13:03
    jonok

I just tried Heather's suggestion but that doesn't seem to change anything. The redirect that I have set up is the built in Umbraco one using the 'umbracoRedirect' alias. I'm not sure if that uses a 302 or 301 redirect (I'm guessing its just a .Net Response.Redirect)? I'll try Morton's URL rewriting suggestion and see how that goes. 

Jul 22, 2009 @ 13:16
    jonok

I tried the URL rewriting, but it doesn't seem to work. It just loads the blank root node. This is the value I am using in the UrlRewriting.config ('main' is the title of the first site)... 

<add name="homepage" 

virtualUrl="^~/"

destinationUrl="~/main.aspx" 

ignoreCase="true" />

• Bert 128 posts 251 karma points
    Jul 30, 2009 @ 18:25
    Bert

There is an easy solution (already mentioned by Heather)

* Select your node you want the url (www.mydomain.com) to point too
     * Right click and select hostnames
     * Type in your url (www.mydomain.com)
     * Select the language setting of the site
     * Click add domain

Your url should now point directly to that node.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft