Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anthony Candaele 1197 posts 2049 karma points
    May 01, 2012 @ 09:22
    Anthony Candaele

how to build a video gallery

Hi,

For a website I need to build a video gallery. The video's should be uploaded from the Umbraco Backoffice, and the video's should be displayed on the video gallery page. The Umbraco Video Tutorials (Umbraco.TV) is a great example.

Does anyone has any tips or advice?

Thanks for your help,

Anthony

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    May 01, 2012 @ 09:32
    Jeroen Breuer

I've created a video gallery with DAMP. Simply uploaded the video's as media to the backoffice (could be a custom media type) and than use DAMP to select the video's. Than in Razor or XSLT it' very easy to show the selected video's.

Jeroen

May 01, 2012 @ 10:43
    Anthony Candaele

Hi Jeroen,

Thanks for the advice, I have already implemented the DAMP package in the website, so it seems logical to use it for the video gallery.

greetings,

Anthony

May 01, 2012 @ 11:19
    Anthony Candaele

Hi Jeroen,

Since I'm pretty new to working with videos (.flv files) in Umbraco, I have this other question, how do I store files of types .flv in the Media Library ? Do I store them a normal files or do I need to create a custom media type?

Thanks for your help,

Anthony

May 01, 2012 @ 11:27
    Jeroen Breuer

You can do both, but I would store it as a custom media type. That way in DAMP you can allow creating and selecting only this new media type. The custom media type can have exactly the same properties as the file media type. If you want to upload multiple video's you could use this: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/multiple-file-upload/bugs/20286-Support-for-custom-Media-Types

Jeroen

May 01, 2012 @ 16:19
    Anthony Candaele

Hi Jeroen,

I started with the implementation of a video gallery using the Digibiz Advanced Media Picker. I created a custom media type 'video' and created a custom datatype 'video picker' of type Digibiz Advanced Media Picker.

My content tree looks likes this:

and a video node has the following properties:

What I don't completely grasp yet, is how show a thumbnail of the video in the Video Gallery page, and when clicked how to show the video in a video player on the page for that video. I would like to script this using Razor.

Thanks for your assistance,

Anthony

May 01, 2012 @ 16:36
    Jeroen Breuer

DAMP is only for selecting the video. If you want a thumbnail and open a player that is unrelated and you need to programm that yourself. I once used uTube in combination with DAMP. It's in XSLT and uses YouTube, but you might find some nice examples in there.

Jeroen

May 02, 2012 @ 09:12
    Anthony Candaele

Hi Jeroen,

I know that DAMP is only for selecting media in the backoffice. I only was wondering how to access video thumbnails, that are stored with DAMP, from a RAZOR script.

A suggestion from Warren Buckley about a video player is Flowplayer , a Flash Player implemented with Javascript. I think I'm going to use the combination DAMP + Flowplayer to implement my video gallery

Thanks for your help,

Anthony

May 02, 2012 @ 09:15
    Jeroen Breuer

Hi Anthony,

Could you post the xml from DAMP in your umbraco.config file and the Razor that you already have? Than I might be able to help :).

Jeroen

• B.SheshuKumar 10 posts 30 karma points
    Dec 01, 2012 @ 07:27
    B.SheshuKumar

Hi ,

Actually I am new for Umbraco DAMP,and want to solve the task which includes the below things.

1.uploading the video

2.videos should be in list view..

3.what ever the video we want,it is able to place side by the list..like Youtube..

Please give me solution for this...our clients are not impressed with my code work..They are asking to use the CMS bueaty.

Please do this need ful to me..

Thanks & Regards

• Stephen Davidson 216 posts 392 karma points
    Dec 03, 2012 @ 13:26
    Stephen Davidson

Coming in a little late to this but cold i make a suggestion? I am in the middle of adding a video gallery section to my site and I think you would be better to use an existing procivder like youTube or Vimeo (my choice) to manage the video side of things then use the Universal picker to manage the video via API.

http://www.cowglensportsclub.com/video.aspx

Works really well and takes the stress of your server and reduced storage needs.

HTH.

S

Dec 03, 2012 @ 13:31
    Jeroen Breuer

I'm currently working on a video gallery for DAMP. You can select YouTube videos and videos uploaded in the media section. It's not done yet, but once it is I'll post a link here so that people can use it as an example.

Jeroen

Dec 03, 2012 @ 13:38
    Anthony Candaele

Hi Stephen

I already implemented the video gallery with this technologies:

Digibiz Advanced Media Picker : for enabling the user to upload and select new video from the Umbraco Backoffice

Flowplayer: Html5 video player

The combination of DAMP + Flowplayer works very well for my video gallery requirements.youTube is not an option because the videos are not public.

greetings,

Anthony

Dec 03, 2012 @ 13:46
    Stephen Davidson

Sounds cool Jeroen and i'd be interested to see what you have done as well Anthony...I just always prefer to keep video off my server.

S

Dec 03, 2012 @ 13:52
    Anthony Candaele

@Jeroen, very cool #h5yr!

@Stephen, yes having the videos on my server is somewhat problematic, but as I said in my previous post, the videos cannot be publicly accessable. Any suggestions on a service for video storage is very welcome.

greetings,

Anthony

Dec 03, 2012 @ 14:18
    Stephen Davidson

Hey Anthony,

With Vimeo you can configure the access to your video, some great options and features...

S

Dec 10, 2012 @ 10:17
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

I've released the DAMP gallery. It's a website which shows how DAMP can be used in 4.11 MVC for an image and video gallery. The complete source code is available so you can see exactly how things are working. The video gallery shows YouTube videos and uploaded videos combined.

Jeroen

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft