Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• René Pjengaard 117 posts 700 karma points c-trib
    May 10, 2012 @ 11:17
    René Pjengaard

Media handling

Hi there,

i have a question regarding Umbraco handling lots of media. We are talking round 2-3 TB images and 1-2 TB video. Can Umbraco handle that, or is it better to use a prof. media database and create a provider (fx. Universal Media Picker) to get the media in to Umbracos content.

Anyone having experience with that?

Best regards
    René

• Bo Damgaard Mortensen 719 posts 1207 karma points
    May 10, 2012 @ 11:31
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Hi René,

I suppose it could, although it depends on how well you're structuring the media section :-)

What I tend to do when clients are talking about thousands of thousands of images and videos, is to rely on external services such as Flickr, YouTube and Vimeo and create controls/services to handle dependencies between media and content. I do know that the mentioned services (can be) paid services, but it's a good trade-off when you think about the "freedom" in terms of responsibility, performance and disc wise.

Don't know if that makes sense, otherwise let me know :-)

All the best,

Bo

• René Pjengaard 117 posts 700 karma points c-trib
    May 10, 2012 @ 11:33
    René Pjengaard

Hi Bo, thank you for the quick answer. I have alså thought about those services, but the client have alot of meta-data, which fx. Flickr can´t handle. Do you know about other online media databases?

/R

• Bo Damgaard Mortensen 719 posts 1207 karma points
    May 10, 2012 @ 11:46
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Hi René,

Oh, in that case I'm not sure which image storing service would be a good deal. I've always used Flickr when handling huge amounts of images.

Either way, I've also been involved in an Umbraco project a long time ago where the solution was a website combined with a huge media database. What we did was to separate the two and use the Media section for what it's supposed to be used for: content media and then created a custom section with custom tables to handle all the media database logic. Of course, that's an example where the media database is completely separated from content, but maybe it could be of inspiration to build something similar and then create a mediapicker for the content (?) :-)

If anything, I'd try to simply stress-test the media section to see if/when it gets too heavy ;-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft