Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Christian W. Larsen 27 posts 49 karma points
    Jul 28, 2009 @ 16:57
    Christian W. Larsen

Share members

Hi,

I have two Umbrao installations with the same members. I.e. the same group of persons has access to both sites/installations.

Ideally I would like to maintain members in one place - otherwise members could easily end up with two different passwords and creating/deleting members would also have to be done twice. Is there a best practice to acomplish this? The installations are on the same server.

Best regards
    Christian

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Jul 28, 2009 @ 17:08
    Douglas Robar

Maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but it seems to me that if you use umbraco members then all the sites that use that membership provider (either the built-in members or an external provider) will share the same member information. That's easy.

The more interesting question would be how you would segragate members between sites in the same installation. For that I think you'd need to assign member groups by site.

cheers,
    doug.

• Christian W. Larsen 27 posts 49 karma points
    Jul 28, 2009 @ 17:18
    Christian W. Larsen

Maybe I'm not thinking clearly either ;) But just to be clear. I have to different installations - i.e. two seperate databases/websites. It's not just two sites in the same installation. So I don't see how they can share members. 

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Jul 28, 2009 @ 17:40
    Douglas Robar

Sorry, I should have read more carefully!

By default, umbraco stores member information in the umbraco database. Since you've got two sites with two different databases that's not going to work for you. Instead, set up an external membership provider and have both sites point to and share the same provider (active directory, sql server, etc.) This is set in the web.config file.

cheers,
    doug.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft