Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• olst 69 posts 88 karma points
    Jun 02, 2012 @ 14:18
    olst

cannot search using examine on shared hosting environment

I have an umbraco website with umbraco examine search functionality in it. The search and the indexing work fine on the development machine, but on the production environment, which is a shared hosting environement with medium trust (it is host gator shared hosting), the examine indexes are not created/updated at all, and therefore I cannot search the site!

Please help, this is very urgent, at the moment the search in not functioning in my site.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 02, 2012 @ 15:04
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Olst

Sounds like you need to contact hostgator and have them set the proper permissions network service/iusr accounts? It must be something with the setup on the host since it works fine locally.

/Jan

Jun 02, 2012 @ 15:11
    olst

Hi Jan, and thanks for your reply,

The permisiions on the iusr account are actually set to full control.... Does umbraco examine support medium trust (my development machine is full trust, but the host is medium trust)?

Jun 02, 2012 @ 15:21
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Olst

Unfortunately I'm not that skilled in full trust/medium trust - but Umbraco should be able to run on medium trust so I would suppose that would cover examine as well. But I'm not sure.

How about network service? Does it also have full permissions?

/Jan

Jun 02, 2012 @ 15:30
    olst

I'm sorry for asking, but on my development machine I don't use the network service user, is this a special type of user? sorry again if this is obvious...

Jun 02, 2012 @ 15:33
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Olst

Hmm, have you then set permissions for the iis_iusrs group? if so then network service is covered in this group I think. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong :)

/Jan

Jun 02, 2012 @ 15:47
    olst

Yes, I catually have set the permisiions for the iis_iusr group and it is also set on the host to full control, I just checked it again ... what can be the cause of this problem then ? Let me just note that on my development machine the site's application pool has the LocalSystem identity and not the NetworkService identity...

• Mike Chambers 635 posts 1252 karma points c-trib
    Jun 05, 2012 @ 11:46
    Mike Chambers

We've found that the lucene/examine indexer is not compatible with clustered medium trust environments. :-(

(you should be able to get the asp.net profile that your provider is running and set it up to run the same on your dev box.. to mitigate the issues between moving dev to live, or just set your dev box site to run under medium trust and see what happens to the indexing... you'll have to delete the current index as otherwise you won't see any issues as umbraco will continue to use the last index ;-))

Jun 05, 2012 @ 15:00
    olst

Hi Mike, and thanks for your reply,

Just in order to understand what you are suggesting:

I should index the site's content on my development box and then copy the index to the production environment ?

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Jun 05, 2012 @ 17:07
    Rik Helsen

which is a good solution if no content managers ever change the site... but i'm afraid you might be dissapointed there :/

Jun 05, 2012 @ 17:08
    Rik Helsen

which is a good solution if no content managers ever change the site... but i'm afraid you might be dissapointed there :/

Jun 05, 2012 @ 19:28
    olst

That's what I thought... What are the other options for umbraco search, then,  that don't rely on examine indexes ?

Jun 06, 2012 @ 09:00
    Rik Helsen

how attached are you to your current hosting provider? :)

• Shannon Deminick 1525 posts 5271 karma points MVP 2x
    Jun 11, 2012 @ 21:07
    Shannon Deminick

think its a medium trust issue.

you'll need to add the requirePermission="false" to the examine config header like:

<section name="Examine" type="Examine.Config.ExamineSettings, Examine" requirePermission="false"/>   

<section name="ExamineLuceneIndexSets" type="Examine.LuceneEngine.Config.IndexSets, Examine" requirePermission="false" />

Jun 11, 2012 @ 23:16
    olst

Hi Shannon,

I tried your suggestion but I still cannot index new nodes - I cannot add the new items to the index. In examine dashboard I get the following line for the index queue and it remains stuck on that:

2 file in queue -> Last update 6/11/2012 4:13:28 PM - 634750280087027163-PSS012-6459.add

• Shannon Deminick 1525 posts 5271 karma points MVP 2x
    Jun 12, 2012 @ 00:43
    Shannon Deminick

Yup, have figured that out now :)

that was one step in the process, the other step is that I have to upgrade Examine with the new Lucene DLLs as this is a Lucene issue with med trust. I'm in the process of creating a 1.4.1 version which will work. will be out within the week.

Jun 12, 2012 @ 00:52
    olst

Wow, that's great news! Thank you, will be looking foreward to this new version :)

• Jon Boyer 37 posts 59 karma points
    Jun 12, 2012 @ 06:14
    Jon Boyer

Failing that there's always Doug Robar's xsltsearch package.  It's not as powerful as Lucene Search, but it's a lot easier to set up.

• Jan Kees Velthoven 25 posts 46 karma points
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 22:08
    Jan Kees Velthoven

Realy like to get an update on the status. Same problem over here.

Greetings, Jan Kees

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft