Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• ben_a 65 posts 123 karma points
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 16:40
    ben_a

Minimum browser requirements

Does anyone know the minimum browser requirements for Umbraco 4.0.2.1 or where they may be documented?

Our IT dept. wants to keep users on IE 6 in some departments, but I'm arguing that it isn't compatible. Unfortunately though I haven't found documentation to support my assertion.

I've seen problems using IE 6 with the menu bar disappearing, and I know the google location plug-in is not compatible.

Regards,

Ben

• Simon Justesen 436 posts 203 karma points
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 16:49
    Simon Justesen

Umbraco works best in most modern browsers such as IE7 & 8, Firefox 3.x and Safari. But also IE6 with minor quirks.
    There's really no point for your IT department to keep using IE6 as support for is being phased out by many web agencies

• Rick Mather 42 posts 124 karma points
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 16:55
    Rick Mather

The current version of Umbraco seems fine - we have some public-sector clients still stuck on IE6 who are using it no problems. The initial 4 release was a bit glitchy with it but i'm not aware of anything other than minor layout issues now.

The latest google location datatype (Darren Ferguson's one) has issues with IE, though I think they can be fixed through CSS. Version 1 of the plug-in is fine though.

• Kyle Skrinak 272 posts 327 karma points
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 17:12
    Kyle Skrinak

My heart breaks when I hear that an "IT Professional" is advocating for keeping an 9-year old, and extremely vulnerable, browser. My guess is that umbraco works well enough, but, jeesh, this is the tail wagging the dog. What other 9-year old apps are supported, or, gasp, maybe don't answer that...

It might make more sense to mount a rational and well-argued case to ditch the old technology, given the free and more secure options available. It might also help that Google has discontinued it's support for IE6: http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/40785/140/

• Rick Mather 42 posts 124 karma points
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 17:40
    Rick Mather

I certainly don't "advocate" keeping a 9-year old browser, and would like to see IE6 die as much as the next guy. However we have done work for clients (intranets in particular) who are stuck on IE6 and who can't be convinced to upgrade.

Of course if the topic-starter thinks he can encourage his dept to drop IE6, he should try to do just that, but the question was "does Umbraco work with IE6".

• ben_a 65 posts 123 karma points
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 18:24
    ben_a

I agree with everything here, but when you work in a big organization, logic goes out the window.

If I had something in writing from the Umbraco site (a boilerplate) that said, "these are the minimum requirements", then I could just hand those over, but without that, it's just my word against theirs.

I had at least one user who was not having luck with Umbraco on IE6/W2k, but apparently we have other users who are able to suffer through. For the one user, her TinyMCE menu bar kept disappearing.

Our content editors are not web developers by trade. They work in departments throughout our city like Fire, Parks, etc.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 18:53
    Douglas Robar

For what it's worth, you could point to these installation instruction pages for umbraco 4:

http://umbraco.org/documentation/books/install-umbraco-4-on-windows-vista

http://umbraco.org/documentation/books/install-umbraco-4-on-localhost---simplified

It shows the recommended configuration. Not the same as an official "not supported" statement but perhaps enough to move things along?

cheers,
    doug.

• Kyle Skrinak 272 posts 327 karma points
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 20:35
    Kyle Skrinak

@Rick: sorry for the rant. It's a Quixotic pet peeve of mine.

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 23:41
    Niels Hartvig

Umbraco 4.0 release+ should work fine on IE6 with potentially minor layout glitches. This is core distribution only as each 3rd party package might have its own additional requirements.

We did go through quite a struggle to ensure IE6 support as loads of enterprises still have it as the official browser (often because they use some obscure enterprise portalsystem for their intranet which doesn't work with a modern browser unless you upgrade to the latest version which can cost a fortune if you have many seats. While IE6 indeed is crap for many reasons it's more secure than its rumor if it's kept up-to-date).

Is this official word enough? If not shoot me an e-mail and I'll make an official statement.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Aug 01, 2009 @ 02:49
    Aaron Powell

Well with this I thought it was an apt time to have it documented somewhere. I've updated the Umbraco 4.0 roadmap page to include system requirements - http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/about/roadmap/umbraco-40

The reason I put it in the roadmap is that each version of Umbraco may/ will have different requirements.

Now it's really official :P

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft