Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• James Crane 34 posts 80 karma points
    Aug 02, 2009 @ 09:58
    James Crane

Shared fields

Hi,

I am creating a simple commerce site, and have created a folder node under which the user will create a product node and populate with description, weight and product code. However, some of my products share exactly the same description but have their own wieght and code.

In terms of maintainability it would be nice to be able to have 'shared fields' for the product description so that a user can select to add a product but then select a product description from a shared field, then add the wieght and code specific to that product. Does the concept of shared fields exist in Umbraco?

Currently, I am thinking of creating a new node list outside the siteroot note with generic descriptions, then having a content picker control on my product to select which of these description nodes to take description content from.

Is this a reasonable way to use Umbraco, or is there a better best practise (such as shared fields).

Thanks for any help.

JC

• Roel Snetselaar 151 posts 305 karma points
    Aug 02, 2009 @ 11:01
    Roel Snetselaar

I think your solutions sounds ok. You could also look into "recursive fields" if a certain node within Umbraco has a certain property which is not filled and if you use the recursive property Umbraco will look up into the content tree to see if the property exists on a higher level (make sure to use the same alias)

But again if you want your backoffice user to select the appropriate description I would also make a 'list' within the content structure and include a content picker on the product document type.

• James Crane 34 posts 80 karma points
    Aug 02, 2009 @ 18:34
    James Crane

Hi Roel,

Thanks for your reply. The resursive field property is interesting - I will take a look at that.

JC

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft