Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• May 17 posts 37 karma points
    Jul 17, 2012 @ 02:16
    May

All nodes and content in admin disappeared

Hi,

I was watching this vid on modifying backend UI with page events and thought I'll play around with the backend UI pages abit. All I did was go to Site > umbraco > dashboard.aspx and added some text above "dashBoardContent" placeholder in webmatrix. It was just simple "Text 123" text and when I reload the admin page, all the nodes and contents disappeared on all sections. See attached img: 

I've already removed the text string and the page is the same as before but I couldn't get the nodes to appear again anymore. It's just a simple text on ui and why is it affecting like that and how can I make the nodes appear again?

Thanks.
    May

• Barry Fogarty 493 posts 1129 karma points
    Jul 17, 2012 @ 09:08
    Barry Fogarty

It seems the edit caused the dashboard to error siliently.  Try this:

1. Ensure the file is restored to its original state.  Download Umbraco again and copy/paste in the dashboard.aspx if you are not totally sure
    2. Delete the App_Data/umbraco.config data file
    3. 'Touch' the web.config (put a space in it and save) to ensure the app is restarted fully on your local webserver
    Jul 18, 2012 @ 03:08
    May

Thanks for your reply. I replaced the dashboard.aspx from fresh copy, deleted the umbraco.config, updated the web.config by adding a space and restart the site but still the same blank screen. The front end pages are all working but just can't view admin anymore. I tried search for the node in the content search field but nothing comes out. Very confusing, a very simple change should not affect like this...

• Barry Fogarty 493 posts 1129 karma points
    Jul 18, 2012 @ 11:42
    Barry Fogarty

Can you see tree nodes in the other sections?  e.g. Settings?  I've never had this problem so not sure what to suggest I'm afraid.  My 'if-all-else-fails' option would be to install a fresh copy of Umbraco, point it to your existing DB and copy in your existing templates, css and scripts etc into the new site structure.  

If this does not work it must be a DB issue - I would check the umbracoLog table in the DB and see if there was any information about a process failing that could lead me to a solution.

As a rule it is best not to make changes to the files in the /umbraco folder, you should be able to customise the UI by implementing your own custom controls.

Jul 19, 2012 @ 01:57
    May

No I can't see anything in other sections either. I checked the umbracoLog and found this error:

System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted.at System.Threading.Thread.AbortInternal() at System.Threading.Thread.Abort(Object stateInfo) at System.Web.HttpResponse.End()  at dashboardUtilities.FeedProxy.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

I also have my test Events assembly in the bin, which include some of the events sample classes from vid tutorials, they all work individually but might have some conflicts at later stage. So I thought I'll remove that dll and yep, all the nodes come back on. Seems like something went wrong in my test classes cos' I was following the vids and creating all classes in one proj.

Anyways, thanks again for all your suggestions and I'll also take note not to make changes to /umbraco folder and implement own custom controls as you have suggested. :)

Cheers,
    May 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft