Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mathias Valentin 60 posts 208 karma points
    Aug 10, 2012 @ 11:23
    Mathias Valentin

Image cropper and dpi

Hi,

I just found out that the Image cropper saves images in 96dpi, which I have come to understand is a microsoft standard. 

The problem is when I save images in Photoshop with "Save for Web and Devices", the images are saved in 72dpi (also mac standard). The cropped images will therefore be pixelated (from a designers point of view :)). I belive it's like scaling an image to 1.25 of its orginal size.

So the question is, should I begin saving al images in 96dpi when working with Umbraco and the Image cropper or can I change the dpi setting somewhere? what do you suggest?

A quick and dirty fix is to make the crop dimensions setting 25% greater than the desired image size in pixels, and then setting that width and height with html/css. Same method used when optimizing images for Retina displays.

@mathiasvalentin

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Aug 10, 2012 @ 12:20
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Mathias,

Do you have some tests that shows this as a problem?

I have never seen any weirdness with this, and I don't really think it is a "real" issue, because in terms of web images, everything is always related to the amount of actual pixels in the image.

Should be possible to do a test, something like this:

* Create a 200px by 200px image in photoshop @ 72dpi, with some 1-pixel gridlines and some hard edges (gray squares next to white squares, etc.) 

* Save that for web

* Upload it to Umbraco and create a couple of crops (none that would upscale the image, though)

* Place the cropped images next to the original on the same webpage and see if there is any kind of distortion showing 

Do it all again, with a higher initial dpi setting in Photoshop ...

/Chriztian 

Aug 10, 2012 @ 13:10
    Mathias Valentin

Thanks for the reply Chriztian :) 

I actually don't have any public tests at this moment, but ok, you are right :) Dpi don't matter for web images, so this can't be the problem. It was a despret answer to why the cropped image, was a bit pixelated (the quality was not as good at the original image). And the only thing I could come up with was that the original image uploaded was 72dpi and the cropped image was changed to 96dpi when I downloaded it and viewed the metadata.  

The problem might be the quality setting under Image Cropper (Datatype)? I had a few problems changing the value to 100. Every time I saved the Datatype it would fall back to a setting of 90. Ended up change the pre value in the sql database under dbo.cmsDataTypePreValues. Now the value appears to be 100 but if I save the Datatype again it will fall back to 90!!

@mathiasvalentin

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Aug 10, 2012 @ 13:15
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Ah - cool!

Which version of Umbraco?

Maybe check the Issue Tracker on Codeplex and see if the bug has been reported already, and if so — are there's any workarounds(?)

/Chriztian

Aug 10, 2012 @ 13:21
    Mathias Valentin

version 4.7.2

I have checked the Issue Tracker, but could't find a matching bug. :/ Found the solution/workaround with the cmsDataTypePreValues on the forum. But it seems like it's not working properly, so maybe it's time to create the issue :) 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft