Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sandro 45 posts 118 karma points c-trib
    Aug 07, 2009 @ 11:42
    Sandro

Upload field vs. Media Picker

I know... it's a matter of taste. But which one of these data types do you use to in your umbraco installations? And why?

• Thomas Höhler 1237 posts 1709 karma points MVP
    Aug 07, 2009 @ 11:50
    Thomas Höhler

I am using the upload fields for one time usage of the medias.

I am using the media picker for medias I want to integrate in more than one location (reusable medialinks)

Reusable medias (mediapicker) vs. one time usage (uploadfields)

This is the main difference.

hth, Thomas

Aug 07, 2009 @ 11:55
    Sandro

I mean, which one do you provide for your users if they need to upload a file. Going with the media picker seems to be a bit needless. At least the additional steps you need with the media picker.

Aug 07, 2009 @ 11:58
    Sandro

sorry my last post was too late...

Thank you Thomas... this makes sense :)

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Aug 07, 2009 @ 11:59
    dandrayne

I believe that's what Thomas means - if the image is to be used only once within a site then an upload field is fine.  If an image is to be used multiple times, have the client upload it to the media library and pick it via a media picker (or http://volandzz.blogspot.com/2009/07/umbraco-package-media-picker-with.html for a mediapicker with preview)

I also always install the multiple file uploader to every new umbraco installation.  Makes uploading media less painful, even when only uploading one image

• Petr Snobelt 923 posts 1535 karma points
    Aug 07, 2009 @ 12:00
    Petr Snobelt

I hope someday there is better mediapicker, with thumbnail and ability to upload new file.

http://umbraco.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=12788

• Thomas Höhler 1237 posts 1709 karma points MVP
    Aug 07, 2009 @ 12:01
    Thomas Höhler

agree, but it also depends if wen need to reuse the media. If we don't reuse this media I use the upload field, cause it is one click. If we do reuse the media I put in the media picker (with the prerequisite that we have to use the build in tools)

In our sites we are using another editor (CuteEditor from Cutesoft.net) which has an own media library (folder based) build in. Only for one time uploads I have created the upload fields.

hth, Thomas

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Aug 07, 2009 @ 12:11
    Douglas Robar

If you want a better (or at least multiple) media picker (or content picker) and loved the Lefteris pickers (that worked in umbraco 3 but not 4), check out http://treemultipicker.codeplex.com/

I had asked Lefteris if he was going to update his pickers for umbraco 4 and he said 'no' because these pickers worked great.

cheers,
    doug.

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Aug 07, 2009 @ 23:06
    Dan Diplo

There's always the Media Picker with Preview - which I believe will also have an upload some time in near future.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft