Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robin Winslow Morris 20 posts 82 karma points
    Sep 05, 2012 @ 09:28
    Robin Winslow Morris

Can't view created members or member types in the UI

I have a fairly vanilla installation of Umbraco 4.8.1 (with one custom user control). I set it up as a Visual Studio solution by following this guide and I have it running on its own local domain through IIS and connected to a SQL Express database.

When I try to create member types in the UI (right click on "member types" -> "create") the form pops up, I enter a type name, click create, and it disappears again as if it worked and the member types folder briefly expands as if it had an item in it, but then the item disappears again, and the folder remains empty. However, the member has been created because I can login with it on the site front-end, and I can search for the user in the search box of the UI and open it that way.

Then if I try to create a new member in the same way, the "member type" *is* listed in the "Choose Member Type:" drop-down, but then when I create the member, I have the same problem that it doesn't show up in the folder.

I can create member groups perfectly fine.

I've tried refreshing the page, logging out and back in again, and viewing it in a different browser (tried Chrome, Firefox, IE9).

Looking in the database (in MSSMS) I can see the member in the "dbo.cmsMember" table, but oddly the "dbo.cmsMemberType" table is empty - which is very confusing because in that case where did the member create form get its list of member types?

Can anyone help at all?

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Sep 06, 2012 @ 17:27
    Tom Fulton

Hi Robin,

Sounds strange, I wasn't able to reproduce this here.  Have you tried checking the umbracoLog table to see if there are any errors when creating types/members?  You might also try running Fiddler or similar when creating and see if you get any 500 errors back from webservices etc, and check the Raw data to see the error.

-Tom

Sep 06, 2012 @ 20:36
    Robin Winslow Morris

Thanks for replying.

Yes I have other installations of 4.8.1 that work fine, so it's certainly not a general bug.

Now I come to think of it I think the reason it might be doing this is that I actually renamed everything after I installed it. I changed the name of the SQL database, the name of the SQL user it uses to access the database, updated all mentions in web.config to reflect these changes, and I also changed the domain name that I was accessing the site through. Could this have effected it?

Where is the umbracoLog table? Is that in the database? And what is Fiddler? Is that a plugin for Umbraco? Sorry, I'm really very new to both Umbraco and C# / .NET.

Thanks again.

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Sep 06, 2012 @ 20:45
    Tom Fulton

I don't think the renames would have affected it, I think you'd be noticing other issues too.

The umbracoLog table is in the database, the same database you pointed Umbraco to during the install.  If you can't remember the connection details, you can look in the web.config file (check for umbracoDbDsn).  You should be able to connect to the DB with SQL Server Management Studio or a similar tool.  From there open up the umbracoLog table and scroll to the end.  You should see some entries around today's date.  Look for any marked as errors and see what data they have in them, maybe it will give us a clue towards the problem.  If you can't find anything, try adding the member/types again and see if any errors appear in umbracoLog.

Fiddler is a 3rd-party application that lets you monitor web traffic.  It's useful for debugging - in this case, there are probably some webservice calls going on behind the scenes that you'll be able to see with Fiddler.  If you see anything that returns a "500" error (should highlight in red), you can click it, then click the Raw tab to see the response from the server (usually contains the error details)

Let us know how you get along

-Tom

Sep 07, 2012 @ 09:16
    Robin Winslow Morris

As far as connections to the internet outside my network are concerned, Umbraco simply can't make them - our company proxy server doesn't allow it. It does significantly impact on development, and we're trying to get it sorted, but it can't be the only reason for this problem as other installations have allowed me to create member types under the same restrictions.

When I try to expand the "member types" folder in the UI, no errors show up in Fiddler, but this error shows up in the umbracoLog table:

08:05:06.693ErrorAt /umbraco/webservices/TreeDataService.ashx?rnd=7e7961fec2264b7a8806240814d9f3fd&id=-1&treeType=memberType&contextMenu=true&isDialog=false&rnd2=49.6 (Referred by: http://arenaweb.local/umbraco/): ;

When I try to expand the "members" folder, I get:

2012-09-07 08:13:08.670ErrorAt /umbraco/webservices/TreeDataService.ashx?rnd=f33941584bcf4c7aa977cb25239d0cee&id=-1&treeType=member&contextMenu=true&isDialog=false&rnd2=49.8 (Referred by: http://arenaweb.local/umbraco/): ;

When I try to create a "member type" I get no errors until I try to expand the "member types" folder again.

Sep 07, 2012 @ 09:21
    Robin Winslow Morris

When I try to visit one of the URLs in those errors I get the following response:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Unable to generate a temporary class (result=1).
    error CS2001: Source file 'C:\Windows\TEMP\jxvsa1ll.0.cs' could not be found
    error CS2008: No inputs specified

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Unable to generate a temporary class (result=1).

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[InvalidOperationException: Unable to generate a temporary class (result=1).
    ]
       System.Xml.Serialization.Compiler.Compile(Assembly parent, String ns, XmlSerializerCompilerParameters xmlParameters, Evidence evidence) +1357
       System.Xml.Serialization.TempAssembly.GenerateAssembly(XmlMapping[] xmlMappings, Type[] types, String defaultNamespace, Evidence evidence, XmlSerializerCompilerParameters parameters, Assembly assembly, Hashtable assemblies) +2809
       System.Xml.Serialization.TempAssembly..ctor(XmlMapping[] xmlMappings, Type[] types, String defaultNamespace, String location, Evidence evidence) +366
       System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer..ctor(Type type, String defaultNamespace) +951
       umbraco.BusinessLogic.Utils.SerializableData.Serialize(Object objDeserialized, Type objectType) +83
       umbraco.loadMemberTypes.Render(XmlTree& tree) +138
       umbraco.presentation.webservices.TreeDataService.GetXmlTree() +136
       umbraco.presentation.webservices.TreeDataService.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +86
       System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +625
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +270

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

Sep 07, 2012 @ 09:25
    Robin Winslow Morris

Ah! Wonderful! This led me to the fix!

I just need to give the [LocalComputer]\IIS_IUSRS user full access to C:\Windows\TEMP and then everything works.

Thanks for your help.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft