Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonathan Lathigee 56 posts 99 karma points
    Sep 07, 2012 @ 02:27
    Jonathan Lathigee

Member logins don't "stick" under IE9, do under Chrome / FF

Using Umbraco 4.9
    I have a page that has public access limited by membership provider role, with a redirect to a login page.
    Login page has in template a bog standard login control:
    <form runat="server" class="login">
      <asp:login id="ctlLogin" runat="server" destinationpageurl="~">
      </asp:login>
    </form>
    If I visit my secured page in Chrome/FF, I get redirected to the login page, provide my credentials, and am redirected. Future visits to the secured page succeed.
    However, in IE9, the login form is just submitted, and subsequent visits to the secured page redirect me back to the log in.
    Help please!!
  • Drew 165 posts 340 karma points
    Sep 07, 2012 @ 09:35
    Drew

I've not come across this issue before, although I have had issues with IE and login controls in the past - double check your Authentication setting in thr web.config and check your IIS settings just to be sure - there shouldn't be any reason why IE specifically would ignore a session state.

Also, maybe check that the IE browser you're using is accepting cookies and the cookies are being set?
    (and check that the cookie name isn't conflicting with an existing cookie or another site you may be working on, such as the dev/uat/live site version).

Cheers,
    Drew 

• Jonathan Lathigee 56 posts 99 karma points
    Sep 07, 2012 @ 19:24
    Jonathan Lathigee

Hi Drew,

Thanks for the feedback - I was just banging my head against the wall and, taking a step back, re-reading some of your pointers above, etc, I've finally come to the solution. It turns out that cookies were disabled in IE. At some point in the past (I'm thinking months ago) I disabled them via the F12 developer tools (via cache>disable cookies). This setting is supposed to be reset when the browser is restarted (according to MSDN), and I *did* restart the browser, but still it appeared to persist.

So your suggestion to investigate cookies definitely put me on the right track

Thanks!

Jonathan

• Drew 165 posts 340 karma points
    Sep 08, 2012 @ 12:44
    Drew

Glad to hear it!

Cookie issues are one of those issues that are hard to spot - along with a clients local network caching files/pages! Really hard to spot sometimes.

Cheers,
    Drew 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft