Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mike Taylor 155 posts 353 karma points
    Oct 15, 2012 @ 13:09
    Mike Taylor

Macro parameter type dropdown is empty...

I've been doing some initial back-end dev work in a 4.9.0 site (upgraded from 4.8.x a while ago). I've just started looking at the front-end. When I go to create a Macro, though, I seem to be unable to choose a type for it ... the type dropdown is empty.

Any ideas why this might be the case, or where I might go to look at fixing it? Never seen this before...

Thanks,

Mike

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Oct 15, 2012 @ 13:31
    Tim

That's very odd. For existing macros where macro parameters are already present, are there values in the dropdown?

Oct 15, 2012 @ 13:35
    Mike Taylor

Hi Tim,

I don't have any with existing parameters in this project yet. I have some Macros, but none with parameters. The dropdown is empty for those too though. I can't figure it out. As far as I can tell, that dropdown is populated by a call to:

SqlHelper.ExecuteReader("select id, macroPropertyTypeAlias from cmsMacroPropertyType order by macroPropertyTypeAlias");

I've checked the database, and the records are all in that table, and running that query in SQL Management Studio shows the expected results.

Bit lost, to be honest.

Mike

Oct 15, 2012 @ 15:39
    Mike Taylor

Clean install of 4.9.0 via WebMatrix shows the macro parameter types fine. Have tried stepping via .NET Reflector VSPro but can't make it step in properly. I can't understand it - it looks like a basic call to the database to bind the dropdown. Mental.

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Oct 15, 2012 @ 17:16
    Tim

That's really odd. I've tried it on a fresh install of 4.9 and it works OK. I don't have a site that's been updated from 4.8 to 4.9 to test on unfortunately. You could try installing a flat 4.8 and upgrading to 4.9 and see if you get the same error again (in which case its definietly a reproducible bug).

Was the site built using 4.8, or was it upgraded from a prior version?

Oct 15, 2012 @ 17:18
    Mike Taylor

It was initially started in 4.8, but then upgraded to 4.9.0 very soon after initial work began. Makes no sense.

• Mark 4 posts 24 karma points
    Oct 15, 2012 @ 17:56
    Mark

Hi Mike,

Is there anything in the umbracoLog table? Can you query the MacroPropertyTypeAlias table when loging in as the umbraco user as stored in your UmbracoDSN setting in web.config? I'm just wondering if there's a permissions error.

• Josiah D Thoen 18 posts 63 karma points
    Oct 15, 2012 @ 18:04
    Josiah D Thoen

Also, use the Chrome or Firebug javascript console debugger to see if there are any errors there.  It may help pin point the source of the issue.  

Oct 15, 2012 @ 18:13
    Mike Taylor

@Josiah: no JS errors showing up.

@Mark: Not that exactly, but I have found it, and it was partly to do with me being an idiot. I was looking at the wrong database to see if the cmsMacroPropertyType had values in it. I checked the *right* database this time (duh), and that database table was empty. Not sure how that's happened at all, but I've copied in the entries from another database and it all seems to be back and working now.

Anyone got any ideas how the cmsMacroPropertyType table could have been empty?

Thanks for all your help everyone - appreciate it :-)

Mike

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft