Default page

Hey.

My site have a structure like this:

• Content
      • mydomain.com
        • First Page
        • Contact
        • Etc.

How do I make the "First Page"... the first page? :-) It starts out with "mydomain.com", which is empty. I suppose I could assign a hostname to "First Page", of "mydomain.com", but this seems like a hack. Is there any better way to do it? I don't have access to IIS admin on the server.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Aug 14, 2009 @ 15:13
    Douglas Robar

Look in the web.config and set umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath to 'true'.

Then right-click on the mydomain.com node and select the 'Publish' menu. Be sure to publish all the child pages as well.

That should do it!

cheers,
    doug.

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Aug 14, 2009 @ 15:13
    dandrayne

Try

<add key="umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath" value="true" />

In your web.config

• Gert Peter Brigsted 30 posts 61 karma points
    Aug 14, 2009 @ 15:26
    Gert Peter Brigsted

Holy cr*p, that was some fast answers! :)

But it doesn't seem to be working. It still shows a blank page (that property was already set to true). Do I need to unpublish something, or what else could I be doing wrong?

Aug 14, 2009 @ 16:26
    Douglas Robar

Welcome to the friendly cms's friendly community! :)

The problem is that the first node (mydomain.com) *is* the page being served up as your homepage. But it has no content and possibly no relevant template to display anything. You therefore need to do one of two things...

A) make a landing page above the mydomain.com node that will let people select the language or site or whatever. This may or may not be relevant for your site, but it's an option.

B) move the content of the 'first page' to your mydomain.com page. Homepages generally have a unique docType and template anyway since they are unlike all the other pages on your site, typically. This would be my recommendation.

B) or, redirect people to the page you want when they land on the default (aka, mydomain.com) page. I would do the following: add another property to the docType of your mydomain.com page. Give it an alias of 'umbracoInternalRedirectId' and give it a datatype of ContentPicker. Now go to your mydomain.com page and select the First Page node for the redirection.

cheers,
    doug.

Aug 14, 2009 @ 16:29
    Douglas Robar

Hehe... that should have been A)   B)   C)

FWIW, 'B' is the best and most common solution, though 'C' is also a reasonable option (though you'll end up with two urls that have the same content and you might want to include a canonical tag for SEO purposes (http://seowebmonkey.com/rel-canonical-trying-google-understand/)

cheers,
    doug.

• jonok 297 posts 658 karma points
    Aug 14, 2009 @ 16:35
    jonok

How about if you right click on the First Page node and click 'manage host names'. Then add your domain and it should then use First Page as the default page of the domain?

• jonok 297 posts 658 karma points
    Aug 14, 2009 @ 16:36
    jonok

just realised you've already tried my suggestion above. i should learn to read before i post!

• Gert Peter Brigsted 30 posts 61 karma points
    Aug 14, 2009 @ 17:44
    Gert Peter Brigsted

Thanks! :) I guess I will use the "workaround" suggested by jonok, even though I marked Douglas' suggestion as the solution. As all the pages on this site derive from the same masterpage, there is no "homepage" as such, just a page that gets displayed before any other page. But thanks again, you have all been very helpful! :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft