Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• sgiannone 7 posts 35 karma points
    Aug 17, 2009 @ 16:43
    sgiannone

understanding umbraco users

Hi,

I'd like to better understand how "umbraco users" works.

I'm using Umbraco 4.0.2.1, and I'd like to use the standard ASP.NET membership provider, instead of using the umbraco one.

I modified "web.config/.../membership" and "umbracoSettings.config/.../DefaultBackofficeProvider" to point to the ASP.NET membership provider (with my own connection string that points to another DB).

I login to umbraco using admin built-in administrator (the same user already exists in the asp.net membership database, so I can do it).

When I try to create a new user in "Users" nothing happens.

Why this happen?

I'd like to know what happen when I create a new User... and what is the link beetwen Umbraco Users and Memberhip Users

Thanks you so much

Stefano

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Aug 17, 2009 @ 17:13
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Hi,

In umbraco there are Members and Users. Both are completely different and have nothing to do with each other.

Users in umbraco are used for back-end access. Members are used for the front-end. My guess is that you want member-functionality, so you should be looking at the member-section, not the user-section.

The membership-provider can only be used for the front-end.

Does this clear things a bit?

HTH

Peter

• sgiannone 7 posts 35 karma points
    Aug 17, 2009 @ 17:36
    sgiannone

Hi Peter,

thanks for your answer.

This is clear.

But, now I'm trying to keek the default in "umbracoSettings.config/.../DefaultBackofficeProvider" and my own Membership provider in "web.config/.../membership"

When I create a new user in "Users" using an existing username in membership... values like the email address are showed in the edit user form!

So, as you see... there is still a link between Users and Membership!

How is it possible?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft