Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kent 9 posts 39 karma points
    Aug 19, 2009 @ 10:05
    Kent

importing designs

Hi,

I have not properly began to work with Umbraco, and I have a rookie question, which I cant seem to answer looking through the forum or documentation:

How do I import a certain design for my homepage? A graphic designer has come up with a great looking design for my new homepage in Photoshop, but I just don't know if you can implement it. By that I mean, that I have a plan for the location of my frontpage photos, and the dynamic content, etc. But how do I actually implement these designs? Most Umbraco homepages seem a bit similar, so I am a little concerned if this is the right cms.

Thanks,

Kent

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Aug 19, 2009 @ 10:17
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Kent,

your quote really surprises me...: "Most Umbraco homepages seem a bit similar, so I am a little concerned if this is the right cms"

umbraco does NOT limit you in ANY way, you're free to implement whatever design has been delivered to you. If umbraco homepages look the same, than that's probably due to the fact that the designs were similar!

It's quite a task to write down how to implement a design in umbraco, but I strongly recommend to start installing the Creative Website Starter package, which is a 'basic' website, showing off all building blocks of umbraco, including how designs can be implemented using templates (and asp.net masterpages).

Feel free to ask more questions when you move along and good luck on the journey.

And btw, welcome to umbraco, our forum and it's frienliest community!

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Aug 19, 2009 @ 10:45
    Paul Blair

Kent,

When I have design supplied to me these are the basic steps I go through to "get it into Umbraco"

- copy any css + images to a directory (you can create a new images directory if needed)

- create a new document type. As you become more experienced you can learn about inherited document types but just create a basic document type for now.

- this will automatically create a template. Copy your HTML code into the new template within the <asp:Content> tags

- make any changes to the HTML & CSS to reference CSS and image files

- go to content and create a new page based on this document type. Save & publish

You should now have a page up and running in Umbraco. But you don't really have anything set up for Content editing. Select the bits that will be editable and start swapping them out with new properties in your document type and you're away.

Aug 19, 2009 @ 10:50
    Kent

Hello Dirk

Thanks a lot for your quick response! I will try and install CWS then, and get back to you when I am a little further in my development.

And thanks for your friendly welcome, if anything fails I will atleast have a nice forum to hang out at  :-)

Cheers,

Kent

Aug 19, 2009 @ 10:53
    Kent

@Paul

Perfect! Thanks a lot! You've both been really helpful

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft