Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anton Gildebrand 49 posts 149 karma points c-trib
    Nov 16, 2012 @ 13:37
    Anton Gildebrand

Help with managing user credentials in a simple way

Hello

I am new to this community, and new to Umbraco. My company are developing a website for a municipality and, as you know, a municipality are divided into different departments.

One department could be the educational department, another one could be the traffics department. Now all these deparments should have their own admin, which can delegate access to new users within that department.

I have been able to do this, but i think it's to much work, and feels like it's made for being a mess within months.

I have created a User Type called "Department". I give this user type all the default permissions.

I create a user "Traffic", which only should be able to access the content-node "Traffic". So i give the user the type "Department", and set it's start-node to "Traffic". When i log in with this new user, all i see is the content of the node "Traffic". So far everything is fine. The problem is that the user "Traffic" can create new user with access to the root-level. Of course i could easily just remove the user Traffic's access to the root-node, but i think since i specified that this users root-note should be just Traffic, it shouldn't be able to issue access above that.

One more thing, is it possible to hide all the users for the user "Traffic" that were created by them self? To this user (who is department admin) it's only interesting to manage their own users. Not the whole municipalities.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 17, 2012 @ 03:44
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Anton - Welcome to our :)

I just need to assure that I have understood your question correctly - You need to know if it's possible to limit what an administrator that has access to "Traffic" only can only see users relevant to "Traffic" in the "User" section?

This is not currently possible in the User section if I have understood your question correctly. But it's surely something that could be nice to have a discussion about if we can desribe the use case so it makes good sense. The User section could surely use some TLC - No doubt about that. Personally I think it would be very nice if it was possible to create folders so you could categorise users that way. Currently this is not possible though...

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

• Anton Gildebrand 49 posts 149 karma points c-trib
    Nov 17, 2012 @ 13:23
    Anton Gildebrand

Thank you :)

To put it simple, a user that's been delegated a certain root-level, should not get permissions to other nodes than that node and should of course not be able to delegate permissions to new users, where the new users can access more then the department admin can access. I can do this now, but i have to do it manually (right click each node, select permissions, give the department admin permissions to it's own department only).

I totally agree with what you say with folders. Where each user/department admin should only see their own users. Of course the root-admin should be able to manage all users, but maybe not present all users by default.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft