This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Claus Nedergaard 62 posts 104 karma points
    Nov 19, 2012 @ 21:58
    Claus Nedergaard

User section - USer throws error

Hi!

Trying to open a user  to idit I get an error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.cms.presentation.user.EditUser.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +660
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +24
       umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +18
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +70
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3063

Running v.4.7.2. with teacomm and courier on it.

Can anyone tell what the stack trace points to?

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Nov 20, 2012 @ 06:39
    Tom Fulton

Hi,

Does this happen for all users or only a certain one?

If only a certain user, it's hard to say - was it maybe assigned a start node that no longer exists?  Or has it's user type been deleted?

If all users, have you recently updated your language in web.config or otherwise, or renamed any of the /config/lang files?

-Tom

Nov 20, 2012 @ 09:25
    Claus Nedergaard

Hi Tom,

All users. I just deleted all but the admin user and still get the error. And since all other users are deleted no node assignment or user type issues should be possible.

No language have been updated and no config files have benne renamed.

Nov 21, 2012 @ 07:59
    Tom Fulton

Hi Claus,

Hmm, strange!  Unfortunately there's a lot going on in the Page_Load event, so it's probably easier if you can get the line # in the stack trace.  To do this, try downloading the "Symbol Files" from Codeplex, and drop them in your /bin/ directory.  When you revisit the page you should hopefully get some more info that will help lead us to the real problem :)

-Tom

Nov 21, 2012 @ 15:09
    Claus Nedergaard

Hi Tom,

Stack trace is still the same after dropping the system files in the /bin folder. Made sure debugging was set to true in web.config and then recycled the app pool - no luck :-(.

Is it a database issue perhaps. Tried to delete some obsolete users in the db but they had a reference in to another table other than umbracoUser. I mean - could there be one or more broken relations in the db user tables triggering this error? What does your experience tell you?

Nov 24, 2012 @ 21:31
    Tom Fulton

Hi Claus,

Are you sure the stack trace is the same?  I just tested (with another exception) and it added the line numbers after I added the symbol files.  I linked to the 4.7.2 ones, that's the version you're using right?

It's hard to guess as to what the issue is as there's quite a lot of logic going on in the EditUser Page_Load method.  I'm not quite sure about relations, I think the only dependency on umbracoUser is umbracoUser2App, so maybe an application was removed that they have access to -- but I don't think that would cause the issue.

-Tom

Nov 28, 2012 @ 12:41
    Claus Nedergaard

Hi Tom, 

Yes the stack trace is the same. And yes the site is running 4.7.2. So it beats me why I don't get the added line numbers to the stack trace.

In the user section I deleted all but the admin account. In the databse however I still have alle the accounts (all set to userDisabled 1) I managed to delete 2 of the these accounts.

The rest of the accounts throws this error when trying to delete?

Msg 547, Level 16, State 0, Line 2
    The DELETE statement conflicted with the REFERENCE constraint "FK_umbracoUser2app_umbracoUser". The conflict occurred in database "s4adb0025", table "dbo.umbracoUser2app", column 'user'.
    The statement has been terminated.

But none of them have dependency (or what you call it) on deleted packages in the 'app' column of the umbracouser2app table. Contour was deleted a while ago, and I suspect it to be the culprit.

Dec 03, 2012 @ 12:24
    Claus Nedergaard

Hi Tom,

Solved!!

In between moving the installed 4.7.2 to and from my server and the dev. people (external devs.) I noticed af couple og new/extra languages suddendly appeared in the umbraco/config folder. 

All I had to do was to delete the config/ folder content and paste in the 'old' content. (note to others: Don't merge the folders. You have to delete all files and paste in the old ones to make sure all unwanted lang files are deleted).

I had me going with db issues, contour issues a.s.o. - but it turned out to be a stupid little issue with added language xml's.

Dec 09, 2012 @ 05:34
    Tom Fulton

Awesome - glad you got the bottom of that one :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft