Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gerhard 1 post 22 karma points
    Jan 02, 2013 @ 13:33
    Gerhard

Fresh installation, umbraco randomly not saving changes in documentTypes

I'm new to Umbraco and decided to follow a few video tutorials to get started. So I installed webmatrix, and I am using IIS Express and SQLServer CE.

I created a new website, and I am following this tutorial:
    http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/umbraco-fundamentals/building-the-cws-site/creating-the-basic-structure/TVPlayer. All that I am doing is setting up documenttypes.

And this is the weird thing: At "random" (it seems) my changes are lost. I don't know why and I can't discribe how to repro, since I don't have a clue why my changes are not saved most of the time. 

Yesterday night I was following this tutorial. I created all the documenttypes as described, setting tabs and properties. Today when I opened up Umbraco again, all changes are lost.

So at first I thought that it must be SQLServer CE not saving changes and apparently all my changes wear made in a session only? But that doesn't make sense, it can't be all in session?

So I tried to do it again, this time step by step. Basically, I set up a documenttype or 2 and create a few tabs. Close browser, log back in. Everything is saved. Ok. Now I only create 3 tabs in a documenttype. Close Umbraco,  log back in. Only 1 tab is saved. 

In similar other tries either:
    - all changes are lost. 
    - half of the changes are lost
    - all changes are saved.

I really don't have a clue about what is going on here. I googled of course, but I seem to be the only one in the world with this weird problem...

Any ideas?

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Jan 06, 2013 @ 17:27
    Charles Afford

Hello,

When you say the tabs are not saved, do you have any properties in the tabs?  are any of the properties getting removed?  

Could you post a screen shot of the properties an the document tyes you are creating?  It sounds like they are not passing validation and being saved properly to me :).  If you could do that i will try to help some more.

I dont think it is going to be a databse problem.  

Charles

• p.kidd 15 posts 55 karma points
    Jan 31, 2013 @ 20:46
    p.kidd

Phew someone else with the same problem - thought I was going crazy.

I make changes to my site then next evening I go back in and the site has reverted to a previous state.

One of the simple changes that is not being saved is the sort order of some of my nodes, below is what I changed to

but the next evening it had reverted to

Its not only the move - I have lost document types, templates and media.

Its like everything has been cached whilst you are working on it but when you come out of webmatrix its lost. 

I had noticed problems when i was using 2 web matrix sessions together, cutting and pasting between pages - so stopped that and copied from the txt files, but still the above happened.

My machine is a Samsung chronus 7 and it has Fast Start and ExpressCache I was wondering if this is part of the issue?

Umbraco v6.0.0-RC (Assembly version: 1.0.4769.31461) and SQL CE

Regards

Paul

• gary 385 posts 916 karma points
    Jan 31, 2013 @ 21:29
    gary

Hi

Have also had this exact same issue, did report it, but it seems to have gone away.

It happened after I upgraded webMatrix to IIS 7.5 ( or was it 8? my memory!), I was also getting odd errors to do with permissions on folders which I had never encountered before. Only a suggestion, but I placed IIS_IUSRS permission from the top folder down (right-click folder, properties, security, add) and haven't seen it since. Wether this will cure it for you, I can't say, but have never experienced this before with Umbraco and don't seem to have it now.

And I couldn't replicate it either, but did wonder if it had something to do with my machine coming out of sleep mode, so changed that to hibernation. Can't think of anything else I did, but if something comes to mind, will let you know.

If I can help anymore, please let me know.

Best regards and good luck, Umbraco is a great system once you get to know it.

Gary

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Feb 01, 2013 @ 08:45
    Charles Afford

There seems to be a problem with WebMatrix, i have never been able to use it personally.  I would stick with IIS. Charlie :)

• Rune Hansen 3 posts 51 karma points
    Feb 21, 2013 @ 18:40
    Rune Hansen

Hi I just wanna say that I have exactly the same problem. I installed WebMatrix and Umbraco CMS through the Microsoft Web Platform Installer, something like 2 weeks ago. I just went with the default and easy install options all the way.Randomly things I have created disappear from sight in the backoffice, but sometimes they actually pop up again. I think actually they are created in the core databases (though I haven't checked it sufficiently). Anyway I have the exact same problem!

Rune

• Antonis 1 post 21 karma points
    Jul 08, 2013 @ 18:11
    Antonis

Hi, I faced the same problem and tried this: 

before closing my browser's tab in which I'm working with umbraco, I logout. When I log back in, everything is there.

Tried that several times and it's working every time. Can't tell what is causing the problem but it seems loging out before closing is a solution.

Just coincidence :( 

Antonis

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Oct 23, 2014 @ 23:53
    Funka!

What a weird and frustrating bug. Lost a solid four hours worth of work last night. Content, doctypes... It's as if the whole site jumped back in time.

Umbraco 7.1.6 on Webmatrix using local SDF file. This has happened twice to me now in the last two weeks, although the first time wasn't too bad to recover from. Surprising that there aren't more reports from people experiencing this. I think I won't be using WebMatrix anymore because I don't know if I can handle this happening again.

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Oct 24, 2014 @ 19:47
    Funka!

For anyone coming across this thread like I did, the problem is being documented and discussed in the Issue Tracker, at http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-4621

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft