Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Justin Grimm 56 posts 138 karma points
    Jan 18, 2013 @ 23:59
    Justin Grimm

Media Folder Buffering Images OnLoad

When I click on any folder in the Media section, all I get is this buffering icon which keeps spinning and spinng. Never loads and there is not a lot of images either in the folder.  Permissions?  Anyone else seen or resolve this?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jan 20, 2013 @ 00:20
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Justin

What version of Umbraco are you experiencing this on? I know there where some issues in 4.9 that should be fixed within 4.11.

And could you also specify the browser bein used? And approximately how many images to you think have been created in the media library?

/Jan

Jan 21, 2013 @ 17:55
    Justin Grimm

Hi Jan,

Umbraco Version is v4.11.1

I'm using Chrome, but I just tried FF, and it's yielding the same results. 

This site has thousands of images in the media library at the moment. But I noticed this right out of the box when only a few had been uploaded.

Thanks!

Jan 24, 2013 @ 21:07
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Justin

When you click on the path to the image on an image item does it then show the image, or does it just give you a 404 page?

When uploading have you then had a look in the browser console to see if any errors are thrown? If not try using fiddler to see if something weird is going on.

/Jan

Jan 25, 2013 @ 22:50
    Justin Grimm

Hi Jan,

Yes, the image does show/resolve when I click on the path.  Or if I click directly on the image node, it shows. It's just the top level folder that continuously fails to load the child images.

Thanks

Jan 25, 2013 @ 23:11
    Jan Skovgaard

...and no errors in the console log in the browser?

/Jan

• William Burnett 213 posts 262 karma points
    Jan 25, 2013 @ 23:54
    William Burnett

I am having the issue as well... site went from 4.9 (working) to 4.10.x to 4.11 (but never checked) to 6.0rc.   Runnin on IIS6 and SQL Express 2005

As others have stated, the media preview on media folders does  not work, but the individual media items do. There is no error thrown.

Also, I get an application error (null reference) when I try to insert or edit an image in the content editor. I posted the stack trace in another post. 

Not to be cynical, but there are often repeatable issues reported in these forums, (many of them significant) that regularly go unanswered for days, weeks or months. My frustration often gets the better of me and I end up posting rather terse complaints or comments. That said, sadly those comments are often the only things that get the attention of the developers.

The bulk of the "community" is made up of end-users who build websites, not .NET code gurus that spend time drilling down through the bug tracker and source code. The thought of reporting an item in the bug tracker and having it get voted up to be considered relevant is laughable at best. I would think it prudent for a member or two of the development team be tasked with doing nothing but following up on issues reported in the forums. Too many things appear to be slipping through the cracks. At least from my perspective, the priority should always be to fix existing issues before new features are implemented.

I look forward to somebody coming up with a fix for this issue and the inset image issue (that I have also seen several others report).

Jan 25, 2013 @ 23:55
    William Burnett

Jan,

I would be glad to give you remote access to my server if you want to look at the site, IIS or SQL.

Jan 28, 2013 @ 16:10
    William Burnett

This issue is clearly not getting any attention and that is sad....

I fixed the Issue in my 6rc upgrade by simple going into the umbraco folder and deleting tons of legacy crap left behind from the numerous upgrades. This site started as an early 3.x installation that has been upraded countless times. At some point I got tired of ripping out files and directories one-by-one and restarting IIS each time and end up deleting piles of stuff. The functionality is now working, but CLEARLY the newer code path conflicts with leftovers from earlier releases.

This again (yes I am complaining very loudly) points to the very poor upgrade procedures and information. This (again) is not something the "community" can or should help with, as that is exactly the reason the information is fragmented and incomplete in the first place.

The first formal thing we all learn as coders, is to document our code. I would think that each file in Umbraco (both core, and 3rd party package related) would have a comment header explainging what it was... sadly most files don't so "cleanup" is almost impossible.

In my opinion, this project would benefit from an extremely strict documentation procedure regarding upgrade path from each release to the next. As it stands, this information is not complete and what is there is fragmented over several forum areas and documents. As Umbraco becomes more complex and mature, more and more legacy code, files and tables are becoming depricated and/or conflicting.

I have a backup of the site before I started slicing away files and folders and (if needed) can try to post a list of what I deleted.

Bill

Jan 28, 2013 @ 16:23
    Justin Grimm

Hi Jan,

No errors in the browser Console.  The only thing I see coming back is 

"

Jan 28, 2013 @ 16:46
    William Burnett

Deleted Folders (by comparing to 4.11 and 6.0 fresh installations)

Umbraco/ActionHandlers

Umbraco/app_data

Umbraco/buttonHolders

Umbraco/cache

Umbraco/Channels

UmbracoContentItem

Umbraco/Data

Umbraco/FALMhousekeeping (and removed package and references)

Umbraco/Imaging (and removed Imagegen and all references)

Umbraco/Library

Umbraco/Liveediting

Umbraco/nodeFactory

Umbraco/TemplateControls

Umbraco/Trees

Umbraco/UI

Umbraco/urlRewriter

Umbraco/KeepAlive.aspx

Umbraco/sort.aspx

Umbraco/reindex.aspx

Umbraco/republish.aspx

Umbraco/rickTextHolder.aspx

Umbraco/task.aspx

Umbraco/treeNew.aspx

Umbraco/viewHTML.aspx

I also went through every config file and removed any legacy packages that left crap behind when they were removed. I removed the 301 package and replaced it.

Whatever I did fixed the preview issue. Like I said, I started doing these one-by-one and restarting IIS then testing... it was taking hours so I just went crazy and started deleting stuff that looked "old".   

Jan 28, 2013 @ 16:49
    Justin Grimm

Awesome, thanks for sharing (and documenting ;)), Bill!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft