Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matthias 87 posts 173 karma points
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 09:09
    Matthias

4.11.3 Publish exception: Value cannot be null

Hi,

all of a sudden i can't hit the "Save and publish" button on my home node without an YSOD anymore.
    What i can do without an exception is:
    - hit the Save" button
    - publish the node via context menu: "Publish" (what is the difference to the "Save and publish" button?)

This is a part of UmbracoTraceLog.txt: 

2013-01-24 09:51:05,470 [17] WARN  Umbraco.Web.Routing.NiceUrlProvider - [Thread 5] Couldn't find any page with nodeId=0. This is most likely caused by the page not being published.
    2013-01-24 09:51:05,470 [17] WARN  Umbraco.Web.Routing.NiceUrlProvider - [Thread 5] Couldn't find any page with nodeId=0. This is most likely caused by the page not being published.
    2013-01-24 09:51:05,517 [17] ERROR Umbraco.Web.UmbracoApplication - [Thread 5] An unhandled exception occurred
    System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parametername: attribute
       bei System.Xml.Linq.XAttribute.op_Explicit(XAttribute attribute)
       bei UmbracoExamine.UmbracoContentIndexer.ReIndexNode(XElement node, String type)
       bei Examine.ExamineManager._ReIndexNode(XElement node, String type, IEnumerable`1 providers)
       bei umbraco.content.DocumentCacheEventHandler.Invoke(Document sender, DocumentCacheEventArgs e)
       bei umbraco.content.UpdateDocumentCache(Document d)
       bei umbraco.library.UpdateDocumentCache(Document doc)
       bei umbraco.cms.presentation.editContent.Publish(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       bei System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       bei System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.OnClick(ImageClickEventArgs e)
       bei System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
       bei System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       bei System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
       bei System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       bei System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       bei System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
       bei System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       bei System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       bei System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

I read a lot of posts about this exception, but none of the solutions worked for me (e.g. deleting examine index, rebuild the entire XML,...).

Some more info:
    - i don't have any special characters in my document type names
    - i didn't install any new packages before it stopped working
    - i don't use any event handlers
    - when i create a new node based on the same document type, publishing works

Any hints?

Thanks,
    Matthias

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 19:50
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Matthias

Is this a clean installation or did you make an upgrade?

Perhaps you should consider trying to upgrade to 4.11.4 using the nightly builds from here http://nightly.umbraco.org/umbraco%204.11.4/ to see if that helps? It might be a weird bug.

/Jan

• Martin Griffiths 826 posts 1269 karma points c-trib
    Jan 25, 2013 @ 10:08
    Martin Griffiths

I've submitted this as http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-1491

Although I think my YSOD is slightly different (but the problem is much the same)

I.e. YSOD on pressing the publish button, but publishes fine on context menu.

This only happens on root nodes.

Jan 25, 2013 @ 10:14
    Matthias

Hi Jan,

it was a clean install. I will give the nightly a try.

Matthias

Jan 25, 2013 @ 10:25
    Martin Griffiths

Hi Matthias

Can you let me know how you get on with the nightly as it's a pretty hideous bug for an essential end user process.

Kind regards

Martin

Jan 26, 2013 @ 09:53
    Matthias

Upgrade to 4.11.4 build 55 didn't help.

• Niels Lynggaard 190 posts 548 karma points
    Jan 28, 2013 @ 00:29
    Niels Lynggaard

I'm having the same problem, clean new install of 4.11.1.3

Installed through Webmatrix,

Ucomponents from repository, famfamfam icons from repository.

IT worked a few times, then I deleted a few nodes in the sitetree, and it broke.

Jan 28, 2013 @ 11:36
    Matthias

Hi Niels,

you may also vote for the issue: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-1491

Matthias

Jan 28, 2013 @ 11:42
    Martin Griffiths

Yes, anyone with the same issue, please Vote! 

Jan 29, 2013 @ 07:04
    Matthias

Turned out to be a major issue in the core, that is fixed in 4.11.4
    Shannon also provided a script to fix database inconsistencies for versions 4.10+ where you already have moved or deleted nodes.

See http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-1579 and http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-1491

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 29, 2013 @ 21:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Matthias

Thanks for sharing this information - I have a couple of installations that needs to be upgraded to avoid this issue.

#h5yr!

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft