Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Lippert 12 posts 31 karma points
    Aug 29, 2009 @ 18:26
    Peter Lippert

Workflow suggestions

Hi all

I have a few small umbraco sites on my back now, and have experienced, that my workflow is not (!) the best...

It has been my luck that the sites running online now, have been new clients that havent had a website before, so I have just created a new domains in my Plesk, and developed the site from there... If I'm lucky I have 3 clients right around the corner, who all have running websites.
    That's the reason for this topic.

What is best-practice when developing a new website for a client that already has a website running?

Thanks in advance...

Peter

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Aug 30, 2009 @ 00:22
    Paul Blair

I develop the new site locally. Once it gets to the stage where it needs customer viewing/approval/signoff I deploy to a public server using a temporary URL or sub domain.

As I usually do the hosting for my clients as well this is easy and I just set up the new site in the environment that will become the Live site. Once dev is complete and they have signed off I just change the DNS namespaces and update the URL's to be the live URL's

Aug 30, 2009 @ 10:20
    Peter Lippert

Thanks!

If I develop it locally, how do I upload it correct to the hosting ? I have tried just uploading all the files, but that didnt work.. Am I supposed to create a package from my website or...? And if so, how is that done?

• anthony hall 222 posts 536 karma points
    Aug 30, 2009 @ 11:20
    anthony hall

so you need to

1) upload you files

2) update your remote database. There are few ways to do this. I use Red Gate SQL & Data compare. It's a little pricey, but well worth it. 

Aug 30, 2009 @ 17:41
    Peter Lippert

Thanks. I will give it a shot with my next project...

Thanks alot ;-)

peter

• Petr Snobelt 923 posts 1535 karma points
    Aug 31, 2009 @ 20:32
    Petr Snobelt

Hi Peter,

for small projects I using userinstance db on my local. When I finished I only copy all files to server. (But your hosting must support it)

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/using-umbraco-with-embeded-sql-database-%28sqlexpress-user-instance%29

• Mikael Mørup 297 posts 326 karma points
    Aug 31, 2009 @ 22:56
    Mikael Mørup

Don't forget to update the DB connection string in web.config to point to the new DB server.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft