Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rick van der Zwart 8 posts 28 karma points
    Feb 15, 2013 @ 09:58
    Rick van der Zwart

Storing & Handling Data (with Richtext Editor?)

I've recently gotten started with using Umbraco, and I'm currently working on a custom template to get myself acquainted with the functionalities I need to know to create a webshop.

At the moment I have made a website with three pages; The homepage, the article page and the sitemap. The article page has a submenu which grants access to three different kinds of articles; Shirts, jeans and jackets. These articles are each stored in a table within a separate file and are inserted with a Richtext editor, and the articles are shown in an iframe.

On the homepage, I want to make a simple overview of the articles which have a discount. For now, that's one shirt, one pair of jeans and one jacket. However, I want to create a function that automatically recognises which articles have a discount, and then lists them in another iframe on the homepage.

I believe that I may need to use Javascript or jQuery to do this, but I don't know how I can insert which with a Richtext Editor. I am running Umbraco through Microsoft WebMatrix, I know how to make a table and insert values, and I know a decent amount of jQuery and MySQL. However, I do not know which kind of values I need to use in my jQuery scripts to store or list data from Umbraco in a Microsoft WebMatrix database (I've only been using PHPMyAdmin so far), and I don't know if I can actually use Javascript, jQuery and MySQL in the Richtext editor.

Long story short: How do I store data from a Richtext editor in a Microsoft WebMatrix database, and how do I retrieve the data in another file? Or, if this is not possible, how do I use a Microsoft WebMatrix database in Umbraco in general?

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Feb 15, 2013 @ 14:22
    Dan Diplo

Why, may I ask, are you using iFrames and not storing the data within Umbraco? Normally with Umbraco you would create document types to represent your articles and then create these as nodes. Then you can use Razor and/or XSLT macros to query child pages to do this sort of thing. You would never execute database queries from the rich-text editor. Generally, what goes in the rich text editor is just content (rich-text, images) and you store data as nodes.

• Rick van der Zwart 8 posts 28 karma points
    Feb 15, 2013 @ 14:54
    Rick van der Zwart

Well, I'm using iFrames because I created separate pages for the articles, which contained nothing but the tables they were in. The images and descriptions for the articles are just uploaded through the Richtext editors.

As for storing the data and turning document types into nodes, I don't really know how to do this... Nor am I very experienced with Razor and/or XSLT macros.

Are there some kind of tutorials where I can see how all of this works? I've already seen the free tutorial videos for Umbraco, but they haven't really helped me much further than I am now.

Oh, and also, it might be helpful for me to point out that Microsoft Visual Audio doesn't work on my PC. The PC I was given has a Trial that has already ended, it doesn't accept new Trial codes, and I'm not permitted to buy a copy on the company's expense.

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Feb 15, 2013 @ 16:55
    Dan Diplo

Hi Rick,

I think you need to understand a bit more how you build sites in Umbraco, and then you'd realise the right approach. I appreciate it can be difficult starting, but it's worth the time.

A could starting point would be to install a starter kit on top of a blank site - such as http://our.umbraco.org/projects/starter-kits/creative-website-starter-(cws)

Also check out the videos at: http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/introduction-to-umbraco.aspx  

WebMatrix should be fine for starting off with Umbraco, so you don't really need Visual Studio.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft