Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rick 36 posts 150 karma points
    Apr 11, 2013 @ 22:41
    Rick

v6.0.0 - Rich Text Editor Content Disappearing

Hi All,

I'm working on a site under v6.0.0 and having an issue with content in an RTE disappearing. The document type that I am working with has 2 RTE fields (mainContent and secondaryContent) and are a child of a master template that has a couple common fields (umbracoNaviHide and some SEO-related textstring fields).

When I add content to the RTE and publish the node, the content appears on the site just fine. Back in the admin, when I click off the node, then back to it, all of the content in both RTE's is gone from the admin but still on the site. Saving and publishing again blanks out the content on the page.

This seems to be happening site-wide with all RTEs using this document type (I cannot test extensively because I don't want to keep losing all of the content). The original source of the copy was a cut-and-paste from Photoshop (which I know sometimes causes issues), but I've also tried putting the copy in Word first, or Notepad first, with no change to the behavior. Now simply entering text by hand into the RTE is producing the same result (there, then gone).

I am currently the only one logged into the site, but the issue did start appearing when a partner (with editor access only) started loading copy into the site while I was working on some development (against a node of a different document type).

Has anyone seen this behavior before? Its not the first time I've seen this in v6.0, but the first time its totally crippled the site.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Apr 12, 2013 @ 15:45
    Rick

Update...

After researching the issue, I was not able to find anyone reporting the same issue directly related to the RTE although the release notes for 6.0.1/2 seem to indicate some issues with the document type fields, but not quite the same thing that I am seeing.

I upgraded the site to version 6.0.3 last night and the issue with the disappearing content appears to have gone away, but I'm also asking that no one else log into it which was the only common factor I know of when the problem has manifested...but now there are other problems...

There are a number of nodes, all with the same document type, that have fields from other document types mixed in but not consistently, For example, one node with a Services document type will have fields from a Gallery document type mixed in while another Services node will have fields from a News Article document type mixed in. These extra fields only show up in the Content section, not when I view the Document Type under Settings.

The mixed document types all share the same master document type, but I have no idea if thats part of the problem. I am not sure if this issue was there before and I simply didn't notice it, or if it is a result of the upgrade from 6.0.0 to 6.0.3.

Anyway, the site is a mess now but at least the content is stable as the progress needs to be shown to the customer today. I'm going to rebuild the site from scratch under v6.0.3 (new instance, clean install) and see if any of these issues show back up.

Ugh,

Rick

• gary 385 posts 916 karma points
    Apr 12, 2013 @ 17:49
    gary

Hi Rick

Sounds a bit if a mess?

Not adding fuel to any fires etc, but, some issues I have seen relating to v6, concern the save event.

eg, i have to save images, if uploaded front end firstly in the front end, then go to Media, save the image, then back to front end and save and publish, et voilá, I have an image. If I call @CurrentPage, the front-end saved image appears fine, but if the call is up the tree and backdown, ie AncestorsOrSelf.Descendants, that same saved image will not appear until I save again in Media. (running 6.0.2, have not yet upgraded, which I believe will fix this, just living with it for the time-being)

However, that example is to demonstrate that my feeling is that a "save" is not saving everywhere, but what part is being saved and not saved, apologies I have no idea.

My only suggestion to you would be to re-save your master doctypes, children and all individually, re-publish entire site and see if the problem still exists. 

Soory can't be of more help, but hope it can be sorted soon.

Regards

Gary

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Apr 14, 2013 @ 13:43
    Charles Afford

Is there anything in the html view of the rich text editor?

• Nigel Brown 16 posts 36 karma points
    Apr 14, 2013 @ 13:50
    Nigel Brown

Hello Rick

this sounds quite like my issue, that I posted yesterday
     http://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/general/40117-Document-Types-using-RTE-(TinyMCE)-Datatypes-are-Slow-to-load

If you change the RTE's to simple editors then it works fine.. - however this is not an ideal solution - other than proving there is an issue with RTE and or TinyMCE in particular.

regards

Nigel

Apr 14, 2013 @ 14:11
    Charles Afford

Nigel.  Is your problem content being removed or loading speed?  And that is not solving the problem :)

• Nigel Brown 16 posts 36 karma points
    Apr 14, 2013 @ 15:03
    Nigel Brown

Hi, no the content is intact, its just the loading speed of the Content tree, whenever a document type uses the TinyMCE RTE.

The right hand panel stays white and there is a waiting for..http://www.**** in the browser status bar.

Everything seems to have loading as I can see using Firebug > Net > XHR all I can see is the website checking for time to log out.. this continues to loop.

However once I remove all RTE's from the document types everything works fine.

I have tried this on fresh installs, so there is not much content - but I do suspects is something to do with RTE's and TinyMCE.

Apr 14, 2013 @ 15:19
    Charles Afford

Hmmm might well be, Never had any experience of the problem :)

Apr 16, 2013 @ 14:52
    Rick

Thanks to all for the updates and suggestions..

Unfortunetly, due to the timing of the issue (client meeting to review progress) I really couldn't try to much with the fear of blowing out the content again. I ended up just creating a new instance (new install/site/db) under 6.0.3 and, so far, haven't seen the issue again. I created all doc types from scratch over risking an export/import mess.

I wish I had an answer as to what caused the problem or a clean way to fix it without losing the content, but I don't. Part of me wanted to try some of these suggestions to "fix" the problem, but I know I would always have had that "is this site really stable" feeling and since it wasn't live yet I decided it was better to just start it over. Thankfully it rained all weekend so I wasn't missing what we call Spring here in the northeast...

@Charles - No, there wasn't anything in HTML view for the RTEs

Thanks again everyone!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft