Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ivan 165 posts 543 karma points
    Apr 30, 2013 @ 12:50
    Ivan

Display content based on User Groups

HI guys.

Is there a way in Umbraco to separate page content between user groups?

Obviosly, a bit of development could help, but I'm seeking for a better solution.

• simon kerr 31 posts 85 karma points
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 17:48
    simon kerr

I'm also looking for help on this.

On our current CMS, users belong to groups which themselves are assigned permissions granting access to various bits of the CMS (e.g. the ability to . Umbraco seems a little deficient in this regard (I hope I'm wrong), with permissions having to be set on a user basis rather than based on the group they are a member of. I have looked at the UserGroup permissions package and this does to a certain extend extend things. But permissions can only be set for the user types and these user types themselves have specific general permissions (like the ability to publish, send to publish etc).

Shouldn't there be a second level of permissions here? One that controls a users general permissions and another that limits access to parts/functions of the CMS?

In my mind, each site section would have a group or groups associated with it giving read/write access and individual users would then be added to these groups. Then, one user could potentially belong to many different groups (instead of just one user type) that would give them access to different parts of the site.

Anybody have any insight on this?

Thanks, Simon

• MuirisOG 382 posts 1284 karma points
    Jun 08, 2015 @ 15:40
    MuirisOG

Hi Simon,

sorry to dig up an old post, but have you had any joy with this?

Having one start node per user is going to be hard to implement, especially when our users will require access to various sections around the site.

Jun 08, 2015 @ 16:15
    Ivan

As for me, I remeber we ended up with custom development that time. But it was Umbraco 4. Maybe new version of the CMS is capable to do the deed, althogh I'm not sure.

Jun 08, 2015 @ 16:31
    MuirisOG

Thanks Ivan,

As regards the second level of permissions - our existing CMS has user groups, which we ignored when we first deployed it.

However, we found that the backoffice equivalent ground to a halt while it checked user permissions. As we added more users, checking the fine granularity of permissions was proving a real bottleneck for the CMS. So, we started using user groups, which reduced the permissions tables in size, and the CMS picked up speed again.

Perhaps not an issue for Umbraco as things stand at the moment, but if I want to reproduce the level of permissions of our existing CMS, it would become an issue, and we would definitely need user groups.

I haven't seen any packages that might help, but if anyone can give me pointers, even if it means building a custom solution, I would be very grateful.

Jun 08, 2015 @ 22:13
    Ivan

I'm not sure if that helps in your case, but we did the following:

• 1) Each group should have its own content page.
    • 2) There should be parent node that contains all content pages.
    • 3) When user lands to parent node, he will be automatically redirected to appropriate content page.

For example:

Umbraco Tree structure:

• Clients
    • ---- Clients HR (hidden from navigation, available only for "HR" members)
    • ---- Clients CEO (hidden from navigation, available only for "CEO" member)

So when user visits Clients page, the system evaluates which group the users belongs to, and then does appropriate redirection: either to "Clients HR" or to "Clients CEO".

That was the idea basically. Unfortunatly I have no sources any longer, and there were no packages.

Hope it helps.

Jul 09, 2015 @ 11:05
    MuirisOG

Many thanks, Ivan,

it's good to know that it can be done, and I like your approach.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft