Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• SinkyPars 132 posts 175 karma points
    May 08, 2013 @ 22:40
    SinkyPars

6.1.0+ or 4.10.0

Hello all,

I'm not sure if it is just me but I feel a little lost now-a-days with Umbraco. I am very used to using WebForms, XSLT and Razor with Umbraco and MVC during my PHP days.

I guess what I want to understand is what direction is Umbraco going in?

Should I be using 6.1.0 and all its MVC capabilities moving forward? Will all the great packages in the Umbraco Repository work with this? Is 4.10.0 the WebForms installation?

I don't mind progressing with 6.1.0 if this is the direction Umbraco wants to being going in. Is these any disadvantages? What are the advantages? What are the common problems with using the new setup/setups?

Is there a MVC forum I am missing? I don't even know if this is the correct forum to be discussing this :S

Any help with direction would be much appreciated.

Similarly, any documentation you can point me to would be great.

Thanks in advance

Scott

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    May 09, 2013 @ 00:01
    Rich Green

Hey Scott,

It's a tough call, personally if you're new to Umbraco it's not a bad shout to still with the latest 4.xx.x release, even though it's webforms unless you use ASP.NET server controls there is no viewstate. The advantages of 4 are like you say, code samples / packages etc. It's also a proven stable product.

If you like the way MVC works then 6 is the obvious choice, it's newer so less packages are compatable but no show stoppers.

The concepts of Umbraco are the same for 4 & 6 so anything you learn in 4 will still be useful in 6 etc.

Hope this helps

Rich

• SinkyPars 132 posts 175 karma points
    May 09, 2013 @ 12:01
    SinkyPars

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply.

I am very familiar with Umbraco WebForms, I've been building sites on Umbraco for three years now. I guess what I am struggling with is making the best decisions for my clients.

How long does Umbraco plan on maintaining two solutions? Is it practical and more future proof to go down one route rather than the other :S

Will more MVC packages come to the forefront?

I notice too that you cannot manage masterpages under the MVC route in the Setting section. What else can we not do in 6.1.0?

I wish I could find documentation for best practice development for both product routes and indeed a guide on which one to choose but alas I can find nothing. Am I missing something?

Cheers

Scott

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft