Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• WestLifeUmbraco 39 posts 70 karma points
    May 15, 2013 @ 15:03
    WestLifeUmbraco

Tool to display different text for site with same language

I have a multi-lingual website, e.g. en-uk, en-us. I have two sub-sites that share the same language and using dictionary item to display texts/links

a.co.uk en-uk a.com/uk en-uk

Previously, all links and other stuff that differ via language are using Dictionary. But now, in addition to that, difference text is requires among the same language.

For example, both sites above require different links/text. There might have many links/texts. Ideally, we want to define one property for one text that can be used for all sites, similar to dictionary.

• Rick 10 posts 50 karma points
    May 24, 2013 @ 15:08
    Rick

You could fake the language and put whatever value you want for that language.

The ISOcode has to be unique so for each site, you need a different language.

• WestLifeUmbraco 39 posts 70 karma points
    May 24, 2013 @ 15:50
    WestLifeUmbraco

It must be unique, Thus, only one en-GB can be created. I have more than two site that require the same en-GB culture, and need to display different text vis Dictionary. Umbraco cannot support this scenario. Any ideas or tools?

• Rick 10 posts 50 karma points
    May 24, 2013 @ 16:09
    Rick

I can't see a clean or simple solution for this problem.

Using a different umbracoLanguage would be the easiest way, because you would simply act like the language is also en-GB but has different values in the dictionaryItems apposed to the first en-GB site.

Maybe you could try: (depending on how you use the values of the dictionaryItems):
    using javascript in every value (for example for a.co.uk --> text1 for the first site and for a.com/uk --> text2:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    if(window.location.host == ("a.co.uk")){
    document.write("text1")
    } else {
    document.write("text2")
    }
    </script>

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 25, 2013 @ 11:19
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Pingpong

How many of these unique texts do you need around the two sites?

If it's about 10 or so then I think the best way to go is to add a texts tab to your setting node/frontpage node - somewhere central in your setup that makes sense to editors of the sites and then you enter the texts to be displayed on these properties on the tabs.

Hope this makes sense and that my understanding of your question is correct :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft