May 25, 2013 @ 15:13
    Arun

Is it portal CMS?

Umbraco is a portal CMS(portal System)?

• Biagio Paruolo 1597 posts 1828 karma points c-trib
    May 25, 2013 @ 16:17
    Biagio Paruolo

Hi,

What Do you mean with portal? Umbraco is a framework CMS and you can build on top what do you want. See the starter kits or showcases ( like asp.net ( it was build on Umbraco past years ... I don't know now ... ) and Wired web site )

• Davide Oliva 35 posts 199 karma points
    May 25, 2013 @ 16:19
    Davide Oliva

Yes. Umbraco is a CMS (Content Management System) but I think that is unique, among the variety of available cms.

It not comes full of ready-made widgets or templates, but leaves to the developer a great freedom to customize the appearance of the website as well as the code and the logic behind the frontend.

The learning curve it's a bit steep in the beginning, but after a little period of practice, the use of Umbraco it is very satisfying.

Furthermore, this community is great and I've learned so much reading these pages.

This, obviously, is only my two cents by a near-beginner.
    More experienced members can reply with a more exhaustive answer.

Have fun!
    Davide.

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    May 28, 2013 @ 10:18
    Tim

Out of the box? Not really. Can it be made into a Portal? Yes.

Umbraco doesn't do anything out of the box, except allow you to manage content. It's up to you to build the functionality you want on top of the framework. There are a number of starter kits available that will do some of the work for you, but I don't think there is a full portal one at the moment.

To compare with something like .Net Nuke, if you build a site with that, you get a fully structured portal, out of the box, that works in a specific way. If you build sites with that, you'll get a lot of very similar/predictable sites. Umbraco gives you the flxibility to build a site that works EXACTLY how you want it to. As Davide says, the learning curve can be a bit steep at the beginning, but once you get up and running, it's a great framework to use, and the community is chock full of helpful friendly folks.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft