Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Steve Smith 75 posts 158 karma points
    Jun 25, 2013 @ 10:11
    Steve Smith

Can I configure Umbraco so a single page handles all further child pages in Url?

Hello all, 

Difficult to explain.  Supposing I have a proper/physical Umbraco page/node with the Url www.mysite.com/database/, and optionally several "fake" child pages that form input parameters for that page (but are not actual Umbraco pages)... eg:

www.mysite.com/database/product-type/shoes/size/10

What I want to achieve is for the Umbraco page resolved for www.mysite.com/database/ to also be invoked for all further child pages.

I know I can do this with a simple re-write rule (the puts the remainer of the Url in to the querystring).  The problem is that the first page might not always be called "/database/", and could be something else the back-office user defines (eg. "/products/", "/products-database/" or "/products/database/").

I'm guessing there isn't an "out of the box" way to do it, and for each new use of the document type, I'm going to have to create a new re-write rule, but I thought I'd check just in case...

Steve.

• David Brendel 792 posts 2970 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jun 25, 2013 @ 10:28
    David Brendel

The only thing that comes in my mind besides the url rewriting would be in MVC.

I think it should be possible to create RenderMVc Controller for each of your child document types. In there Index action check there parents until your get to one with a template and then render this template with the current data. Theoretically this should work. Then it's not relevant how the naming of the parent nodes is.

Maybe worth a try in a simple prototype. But more a crazy theory.

• Steve Smith 75 posts 158 karma points
    Jun 25, 2013 @ 10:37
    Steve Smith

Thanks for your input.  Can you do this in Umbraco 4.7, or would I need to upgrade to 6.x?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft