Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mcgwest 23 posts 55 karma points
    Sep 22, 2009 @ 01:33
    mcgwest

Recycle Bin as Custom Section

I just stumbled across a problem with the recycle bin. If your users don't have access to the root "Content" node, they can't see the recycle bin. In my case, most of my users have a starting node somewhere below "Content" so they can't use the functionality of the recycle bin.

I just viewed some of the new videos on custom sections and trees, and I'm curious if a custom section for the recycle bin might be possible. I've gone through the steps of creating a custom section, so that's no problem, but I'm not sure how I would add the "recycle bin" tree to my new section. This would allow me to grant permissions on the recycle bin without requiring me to make a bunch of changes to the way Im already managing permissions in the content section. Besides, I have no interest in managing permissions on a node-by-node basis, I'd rather just assign a starting node to a user and call it good.

Thoughts?

• Chris Dunn 75 posts 127 karma points
    Sep 30, 2009 @ 05:03
    Chris Dunn

The recycle bin is global to umbraco and does not follow the user access rules.  So providing access to the recycle bin would give access to content you have normally hidden from users.

That aside, to accomplish what you want regarding a custom section you will need to do some coding.  Basically build a custom section (which you've done) and build a custom tree for that section which reads the node structure under the Recycle Bin node from the database and display it as a tree.  Node -20 in my installation.  

You then need create your own "MOVE" function on the right click event for those nodes in order to restore the nodes.

I don't believe their is a "SHOW RECYCLE BIN" function for the custom section.  The good news with custom sections is you can do a lot...bad news is you have to do a lot :)

Download the sample project for custom sections from Tim Geyssens blog for a framework to get you started:

http://www.nibble.be/wlwimages/Addinganewcustomsectiontoumbracodemoproj_D4AE/CustomUmbracoSection.zip

-Chris

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Jul 09, 2010 @ 12:56
    Rich Green

Anyone ever had any luck with this, otherwise I might look at it but don't want to re-invent the wheel.

Rich

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jul 09, 2010 @ 13:00
    Dirk De Grave

I don't think the recycle bin should go into a new section, I'd rather create a work item on Codeplex asking to include the recycle, regardless of user settings (Of course, recycle bin should be filtered for only items you're allowed to see/restore/delete. +1 if you create the work item.

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Jul 09, 2010 @ 13:02
    Rich Green

Agreed 100% as my post with link to Codeplex work item here

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/2052-User-can't-access-recycle-bin-when-assigned-to-a-level-1-start-node

Find it strange that it does not affect more people?

Rich

• Eric Schrepel 161 posts 226 karma points
    Jun 13, 2013 @ 00:26
    Eric Schrepel

Ditto this as a "basic" feature request; users should be able to undelete their own postings, even if they are restricted to certain node trees. I'm not much of a programmer, but just make Recycle Bin available to all users, and only display deleted items authored by the logged-in user?

Same goes for the "Last Edits" tab (for users that don't have access to the root Content node): it appears when a user first logs on, but then once they click any node, it goes away. Not obvious that you have to hit Refresh to redisplay the initial page to get Last Edits tab to reappear.

This is as of Umbraco 6.1.1. build 4 (June 2013).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft