Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Garrett Fisher 341 posts 496 karma points
    Sep 22, 2009 @ 15:18
    Garrett Fisher

Basic Umbraco Deployment Question

Hi,

I need to copy an am Umbraco site from my local instance to a staging environment but obviously do not want to re-create the entire site in the CMS on the new server.  Can anyone tell me what the relevant folders are that need to be copied to the new instance (in addition to a database restore)?  I am having a hard time identifying exactly what I am editing when I am using the CMS UI.

Thanks,

Garrett

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Sep 22, 2009 @ 15:40
    Dirk De Grave

Garrett,

Here's another thread that discusses similar situation: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/3936-How-to-duplicate-an-Umbraco-installation

In short: backup local db, restore on staging server, copy all local files to remote staging environment, change web.config to point to new db and launch new site. If site doesn't show up immed, perform a 'Publish entire site' from right click on 'Content' node in content section.

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Sep 22, 2009 @ 15:41
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Garret,

If the Version of Umbraco on your local machine and your staging env are the same, I would say copy the folders :

- Css
    - MasterPages
    - Media
    - Scripts
    - XSLT

If you are using Usercontrols also copy the usercontrols folder and the bin folder for your local dll

Then restore the database and make sure you republish the entire site by richt clicking on content -> Republish entire site in Umbraco.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Sep 22, 2009 @ 15:45
    Garrett Fisher

Hi Richard--

Thanks so much for your speedy reply.  This is my first Umbraco site, so please forgive me if my questions are silly.  How do I know if I'm using Usercontrols?

Thanks again,

Garrett

• bhunt 18 posts 22 karma points
    Sep 22, 2009 @ 23:28
    bhunt

Garrett-

Usercontrols are found inside a usercontrols folder in the root of the site. Some packages make use of usercontrols. For example - if you use the runway starter site, it makes use of a usercontrol for a contact form. That particular one usually shows up inside a folder called runway that is inside the usercontrols folder. 

Sometimes if you write custom code, you would put that in a usercontrol and then create a macro that uses that control.

So perhaps if you see anything inside your /usercontrols folder, you can move that as well.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Sep 23, 2009 @ 00:55
    Rich Green

Garrett,

Unless you have a good reason not too you can just copy all the folders up to the staging environment.

As mentioned the web.config file needs to be unique to your staging server (the database connection string will more than likely be different)

Rich

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Sep 23, 2009 @ 21:01
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Garret,

Just check if the usercontrol folder locally is empty, if so you are not using Usercontrols :) It's indeed also possible to copy all the folders. Just some extra time for the upload

Cheers,

Richard

Oct 05, 2009 @ 19:10
    Garrett Fisher

Guys,

I sent the entire package to the client's techm, along with a BAK file from which he can restore the database.  He was able to successfully install Umbraco, and he restorede the database from my backup.  However, he is unable to log in using the same credentials that I use for my local instance (I verified that they work).

Is this expected behavior?  Is there anything else we need to do?  Does anyone see any issues with this process?

Thanks and help!

//Garrett

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Oct 05, 2009 @ 21:18
    Dirk De Grave

Are you sure web.config both are the same (maybe not for the db connection string), but make sure membership's password format is identical on both systems.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

/Dirk

• Sawe 2 posts 22 karma points
    May 22, 2013 @ 13:04
    Sawe

Dirk you are right, the database user needs to have db_datareader, db_datawriter/,db_owner role membership in sql server, i.e. right click on the user, go to Membership, and give the user enough rights to read and write to the database. one way of checking if the user has rights, login to the database via Sql Server Management Studio using the user's credentials. If you can see the tables and data, then u are good to go.

Regards,

Sawe

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft